What type of Dehumidifier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Just a quick question as we've had a bit of a leak (fixed) and have some damp plasterboard by the leaky window. As it's in our kitchen/diner, wheer we also dry the washing when it can't go out, I'd like to get a dehumidifier to help things dry out.

I've seen various compressor and dessicant dehumidifiers, both of which are claimed to be the best type for use in the UK climate. Which type is actually better? We live in the far north west of Scotland so it's not as warm up here, and if it makes a difference, we've got night storage heating.

I'd be grateful for any advice on which type would be better.

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links
Your plasterboard will dry out of its own accord, especially if you have good ventilation. However, Screwfix 72503 is a grand jobby with its own 5 litre catch tank.
Expect any dehumidifier to work well when the room temperature is warm, and if its less than 8 degrees it won't work too well at all.
John :)

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I take it from reading on Screwfix that that one is a dessicant type so I think I'll go for one of them...

It's just confusing with various places saying one things and they other places totally contradicting them!

Thanks though, David

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about dehumidifiers, but the one we've got is a basic argos £100 one, which seems ok.

It's much more effective if you plonk a fan at the far side of the room pointing towards it.

Keep an eye on gumtree, you sometimes get good quality ones cheap on there.

Re: the storage heaters, I always wondered about fitting a socket to run the dehumidifier off the THTC circuit at half the price! :?:

I think in the long run a more effective solution would be building a roof over a whirley gig outside!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back