What type of earthing system is this?

You suspect right, otherwise you'd need an RCD to protect that RCD...........
Indeed - and that's the problem. Those who believe that 421.1.201 requires RCDs (as well as CUs) to be in metal enclosures have talked themselves into a 'Catch 22' vicious circle that they can't get out of!

That's why I don't believe that it makes any sense to interpret the reg in that way, no matter what was the authors' 'intention'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed - and that's the problem. Those who believe that 421.1.201 requires RCDs (as well as CUs) to be in metal enclosures have talked themselves into a 'Catch 22' vicious circle that they can't get out of!

That's why I don't believe that it makes any sense to interpret the reg in that way, no matter what was the authors' 'intention'!

Kind Regards, John
But it isn't a problem. I was just explaining what we used to do in years gone by. Before the estupido regs came in.

Sponsored Links
But it isn't a problem. I was just explaining what we used to do in years gone by. Before the estupido regs came in.
As I said, it is a problem for those who interpret the 'estupido' reg in the way I described - which I suppose could be said to make them a bit 'estupido' as well!

Kind Regards, john

Some of the blame has to rest with those who do not realise there are materials other than steel which are not in-flamable and are electrically non conductive.

Some can be worked from sheet in the same way as sheet steel has to be worked to create a potentially hazardous CU

Some of the blame has to rest with those who do not realise there are materials other than steel which are not in-flamable and are electrically non conductive. Some can be worked from sheet in the same way as sheet steel has to be worked to create a potentially hazardous CU
Definitely, given that we have no idea as to to what extent a material has to be in the "non-combusible direction" to satisfy the wishes of the author of the regulation concerned.

However, given that uncertainty, one cannot really blame manufacturers for having gone with the one material ('ferrous metal') stated in the regs to be deemed to satisfy the regulation!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back