What type of flies are these

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved into our new home a couple of months ago and have noticed an odd little fly here and there. Which I put down to hot weather or fruits etc.

However I am getting a bit concerned as I noticed around 7-8 in the area around the kitchen sink today. There are a couple of small plants, a fruit basket and a vase with flowers on the window sill by the sink.

Can anyone identify these flies and whether there is something to worry about?
IMG_20190902_184928.jpg IMG_20190902_184943.jpg IMG_20190902_185645.jpg IMG_20190902_183917.jpg IMG_20190902_183920.jpg

They might look big in the pictures, but they are tiny.

Sponsored Links
They may be 'Cluster' flies. Are they slow moving and easy to catch?
We had an infestation of them in the loft last year and the only to clear them was by fumigating the loft.

A vacuum cleaner is a good way to catch them all if you have a lot. Then squirt some fly killer up the hose.

Sponsored Links
. There are a couple of small plants, a fruit basket and a vase with flowers on the window sill by the sink.

probably fruit flies then.

If you leave an unwashed wineglass or bottle nearby, they will be attracted to it because it smells like fermenting fruit.

They have a very short life cycle so are popular for genetic experiments.

Cover your fruit or put it in the fridge, throw away anything overripe, you can spray your houseplants if you want. Empty the kitchen bin frequently, especially of peelings.

"Time flies like the wind
Fruit flies like bananas"

Back