What type of joint is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to try and replace this fence.

Does anyone know the name of this joint?

I will try and do exactly the same one myself!

1707923733892.png

Sponsored Links
It's a fairly crude mortise and tenon - where the upright has the mortise, and the horizontal rail forms the tenon.
That one seems to be pegged or doweled in place.
John :)

The two end pieces don't look too bad so you could reuse to keep the mortices

drill a row of holes then finish with a sharp chisel

unless you have a 1/2" router in which do it with that -if you do, I would suggest leaving the stiles well overlength for the fence to run along

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the responses. I'm working this evening, but I will review them properly soon. I can see some very good advice already.

Looks like a pinned mortice.

Strictly, there is no tenon as the stile is just slotted in. Two dowels are the pins to secure the two pieces. Alternatively the stile can be run through to the other side, and wedged instead of using [visible] dowel pins.

drill a row of holes then finish with a sharp chisel

unless you have a 1/2" router in which do it with that -if you do, I would suggest leaving the stiles well overlength for the fence to run along

Thanks for your response. Not 100% on what you are getting at here. Interested to know what you mean though.

Thanks for your response. Not 100% on what you are getting at here. Interested to know what you mean though.

Ok, so the slotted hole is called a mortice

the way to make it with minimal tools is to mark it out on the stile (vertical part), then drill a row of holes using a drill bit, then square out the hole with a chisel

Since the rails (horizontal part) are the same size as the mortice, they dont need any work done to them

Ok, so the slotted hole is called a mortice

the way to make it with minimal tools is to mark it out on the stile (vertical part), then drill a row of holes using a drill bit, then square out the hole with a chisel

Since the rails (horizontal part) are the same size as the mortice, they dont need any work done to them
Except to replace them with new ones. You could get away with replacing just the bottom one if money is a bit tight.

When you re-fit this, do yourself a favour and mount it slightly higher up so the bottom of the left piece doesn't sit in water.
If you're planning to re-paint it [if you care about longevity, you will] take it indoors to dry out for a bit before doing so.

I am thinking I will cut the mortises with a chisel then.

Further Question:

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of wood to use?

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of wood to use?

Just use ordinary white/redwood - it's durable enough if treated and painted. Common joinery hardwoods aren't much better. If you have some old pitch pine it'll last well - better than modern stuff. If you want it to last for pretty much ever go buy some Accoya - expensive but almost totally resistant to moisture and rot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back