What type of plaster for skimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to skim the walls of my living room because there's so many divots and holes in it, it is taking forever to fill them all with polyfill and then sand them down.

What type of plaster will I need for this? Can I just use single coat stuff from focus?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thistle Multi-Finish. Don't use one coat stuff - it's useless IMO.

Have you plastered before?

To be honest, if you've not plasterered before then I'd wait until you've done a few weeks on your course before even trying to plaster your living room. Once you've got the theory and a bit of practice behind you it'll be an excellen opportunity to practice.

Regards

Fred.

mmm. if you actually want to skim then do as fred said.

However i have used smoothover by polycell and it worked a treat on lots of divets, really depends on how bad your wall is.

Hi. On this subject, I've just removed the wallpaper from my bedroom and found that the plaster, though sound, is covered with hundreds of little divots, top to bottom, of no more than a few mil deep or, at the most, 10 mil across. Is plaster the only thing you can skim with (I haven't plastered before), or is there some kind of filler that I could get away with smearing over the walls in one very shallow layer?

Thanks

Sal

Sponsored Links
Perhaps that Polycell Smoothover is the answer to my question - the on-line reviews aren't promising though, and it would have to cover most of the wall surface in a room of 3.9 X 3.6 m...

SalParadise said:
Hi. On this subject, I've just removed the wallpaper from my bedroom and found that the plaster, though sound, is covered with hundreds of little divots, top to bottom, of no more than a few mil deep or, at the most, 10 mil across. Is plaster the only thing you can skim with (I haven't plastered before), or is there some kind of filler that I could get away with smearing over the walls in one very shallow layer?

Thanks

Sal
Gyproc Easi fill ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back