what type of plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy some plaster to fill in some channels which have been chased into a wall and I may, depending whether I'm feeling up for it :) try plastering some larger areas of a wall where the plaster has blown.

My question is is one coat plaster ok for both of these jobs or does it leave a relatively rough finish compared to to a finishing plaster as I assume the latter is a finer powder and therefore gives a smoother finish. Or is it all down to the skill of the plaster?

I have always used ployfilla to fill smaller holes and it appears to give a better finish compared to the one time I've used one coat plaster. Of course this may be down to my lack of skill!

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
on re reading your post, perhaps you would be better filling the various parts with one coat, although bonding is preferred, and skimming the whole wall with multi finish.

Sponsored Links
I may, depending whether I'm feeling up for it :) try plastering some larger areas of a wall where the plaster has blown.

The funny thing is that for someone who lacks experience, skimming a whole wall may actually be easier than trying to patch up a smaller area. The difficulty comes from trying the get it to the same thickness and feathering the edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back