What Type Of Roof Do I have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often here that hip roofs are the hardest to convert to lofts - I am wondering what sort of roof I have.

In my loft I have a water tank and a lot of trusses which I presumably will need to replace with steel beams?

Does anyone know a company in London that would do just the structural piece for me and leave me to do the remaining pieces?

Sponsored Links
If you have a hipped roof AND it's trusses, then it's hard to convert to a loft though not impossible.
You could extend the ridge out in line with the side wall to make it a hip-to-gable conversion. This is allowed if your permitted development rights have not been removed.
However it's done, you will need a few steel beams.

Sponsored Links
If you have a hipped roof AND it's trusses, then it's hard to convert to a loft though not impossible.
You could extend the ridge out in line with the side wall to make it a hip-to-gable conversion. This is allowed if your permitted development rights have not been removed.
However it's done, you will need a few steel beams.

The problem is I do not know if I have a hipped roof - I have shown a picture of the house above - Is this a hipped or gable roof?

The roof space is massive and quite easily converted to a loft I would have thought

It's a hipped roof, and you wont have trusses - it will be a cut rafter roof

As it is detached, even a dormer wont help much to make a viable loft conversion, and so you may need it converting to gables at each side, and a rear dormer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back