What type of wall tile adhesive for uneven walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to apply an adhesive bed up to 6mm to allow for my uneven walls. Looking at most tile adhesive tubs they indicate a 3mm thickness, could someone tell me if I am able to apply a 6mm thickness and suggest a suitable product?

The tiles are for my bathroom.

Should I go for a bag or tub?

Many thanks

olneys

Sponsored Links
There used to be one called thickbed, I used it about 25 years ago, after I removed big thick old tiles & couldnt plaster...I still cant :LOL:

10mm notched trowel and a powdered (bagged) adhesive will do you.

Jason

What size tiles are you using and the thickness of them? Are you going onto plaster and is there a shower area to be tiled?

Sponsored Links
Chaps

Thanks for your replies.

tiler jase - tile size = 300 x 300mm and they will be fixed onto plastered walls.
There will be a shower bath with a wall mounted mixer shower.

Would the following products be suitable or are there other similar products available?

prime walls with Bal prime APD
fix tiles with Bal single part flexible adhesive using a 10mm notched trowel
use Bal superflex wall grout with added admix GT1 to finish

How much of the above would I need to tile a 16m2 area?

thanks

olneys

that seems fine but the grout will not need gt1 in it as its already flexible

You will defininately need to put a tanking system around the shower area the BAL WP 1 is the fella.
A large format BAL bagged adhesive is now available and a darn lot cheaper than a single part flex. About 3 bags poss 4 will be needed.
Use BAL microflex wall grout and BAL microseal silicone around the shower to stop that nasty mould appearing in a few months time.
A solid bed trowel or 10 mm notched trowel is fine.
Word to the wise though check out the dunlop range as they are ( he says with a knowing wink ) suprisingly similar to BAL and LOTS cheaper.
I have a supplier who will supply you even in london if you need and i will pass you the details if needed.
Are the tiles ceramic / porcelain / stone ?

tiler jase thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

The tiles I am going to use are ceramic.

The Dunlop range of products are certainly much cheaper compared to Bal, there surely must be a quality issue here, otherwise why the huge difference in cost?

Anyway, supplier details would be great.

olneys

Hello

I need to apply an adhesive bed up to 6mm to allow for my uneven walls. Looking at most tile adhesive tubs they indicate a 3mm thickness, could someone tell me if I am able to apply a 6mm thickness and suggest a suitable product?

The tiles are for my bathroom.

Should I go for a bag or tub?

Many thanks

olneys
you can use any rs floor adhesive bit more work or any good tub of wall adhesive just leave longa before grouting, it will advise not to do this but i have for over 10 years and i will tell you anting you need to no

m.t.s.ltd said:
if you can call xxxxxxxxxxx i will tell you anting you need to no
Anything? Really?

What about starting with why you joined the site?
Was it to drum up extra business?
Do you not have enough work?
Are you a bit flaky?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back