what unwanted things regularly get into your garden?

Sponsored Links
Lots of litter:
- Some obviously blown in.
- Some presumably brought in by foxes.
- Some buried in the past. This includes lots of glass, rubble, metal, bags of rubbish. Most extreme was probably two half full bags of sand, which much have been old as they were cwt!

Sycamore seeds and neighbours leaf litter
Them as well both from next door. On that side it is a block of flats slightly uphill from me and I have seen their 'gardeners' using a leaf blower to move leaves into my garden.

Probably most annoying are the grey squirrels. The effort we had to stop them getting into a 'squirrel-proof' bird feeder was ridiculous. Also we have a true quince tree and they take one bite of the fruit, decide it is too bitter (which it is) but then it is damaged and rots really quickly.

Does twice in c. five years count as regular? If so - dead foxes.

Sponsored Links
- Some buried in the past. This includes lots of glass, rubble, metal, bags of rubbish
Someone who lived in this house previously, must have been doing this. Any digging I do in my garden below about 20cm results in all kinds of vintage litter. I really can't fathom why anyone would put all that effort in to burying it.

Someone who lived in this house previously, must have been doing this. Any digging I do in my garden below about 20cm results in all kinds of vintage litter. I really can't fathom why anyone would put all that effort in to burying it.
We get a lot of that over our allotment - plenty of broken China and glass, old vintage medicine bottles and the remains of batteries. Even if you dig deep and sieve it all out, more stuff works its way up to the top again. Years ago, it used to be an old landfill site.

RABBITS.............. They eat literally anything!! Even Raspberry leaves, Chives, any flowers, some weeds but they do seem to avoid nettles. We used to have a stray cat around the gardens that kept them down but we seem to have lost him to a fox who we saw around for a while but now he too seems to have disappeared leaving us gardeners with an invasion.

Funny thing is when they are tiny they look very cute eating the long grass, but once they grow a bit the trouble begins.

I even baited a live trap with lettuce but they would not touch it, preferring my fruit/veg/flowers instead.

The neighbours.
The neighbours dogs
The other neighbours cats
Squirrels and rabbits are welcome, my dogs will want to play with them :)

Some stuff I suspect comes from 'tradesmen' who, for whatever reason, do not remove their rubbish. The two half full bags of sand I mentioned is an example. Since then I have remembered a couple of empty paint containers.

Our garden is on the side of a valley and when the houses below ours were built the gardens were levelled by making a bank at the end, the banks are c. 5' tall with steep access. One of the house below ours was owned by an elderly woman who could not make it up the bank. I said that I could see some rubbish poking out and so I would do some tidying up.

After many days work I removed a ridiculous amount of stuff; literally hundreds of plant pots, a length of curtain track, a mass of netting, hanging basket frames, a metal frame (from a cold frame maybe), a broken hose reel, unidentifiable bits of metal & wood, etc. I know that she had, over time, a number of gardeners, so it seems likely that one or more of them used to dump their detritus when it would not be seen by the home owner.

However like you I have come across stuff that is just litter. Some times in a plastic bag, normally with holes, and some times just a little cache of it, as if it was in a bag but that has totally disintegrated. Because my garden slopes down at close to 45º (and somewhat from right to left) any loose soil tends to move, so I wonder if these bags have just been discarded and have become buried over time.

In my previous house, we had a rat problem.

Turned out the old fella next door was burying his rubbish in his garden.

No wonder he could barely muster enough in a fortnight to cover the bottom of his wheelie bin, much less fill it...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back