What wax/oil/varnish for old pine floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house and am new to this forum and DIY in general. I have Victorian pine floor boards which have been sanded back (to be treated for woodworm - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered).

I would much appreciate advice on what to finish them with - which wax, oil or varnish?

I have read much on this forum and others about finishes for floorboards, but mostly people have oak, or posts are old, and products seem to have improved.

Seems to come down to a choice between:
(a) Osmo Wax Oil
(b) some kind of water based varnish e.g. Dulux Diamond Glaze

Not fussed about the cost - it's only 2 rooms (dining area of a kitchen diner, and a lounge). Just have no appetite to do future maintenance work. Would varnish save me frequent re-waxing trouble, or would its propensity to chip and need re-sanding actually create more work in future, compared to oil? Please advise a reluctant DIYer, many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've just bought a house and am new to this forum and DIY in general. I have Victorian pine floor boards which have been sanded back (to be treated for woodworm - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered).

I would much appreciate advice on what to finish them with - which wax, oil or varnish?

I have read much on this forum and others about finishes for floorboards, but mostly people have oak, or posts are old, and products seem to have improved.

(a) Osmo Wax Oil

Not fussed about the cost - it's only 2 rooms (dining area of a kitchen diner, and a lounge). Just have no appetite to do future maintenance work. Would varnish save me frequent re-waxing trouble, or would its propensity to chip and need re-sanding actually create more work in future, compared to oil? Please advise a reluctant DIYer, many thanks!

I can only share my experience, which won't reflect everyone's preferences.

I have no experience of using oil; it would give the more natural -looking finish, but would require re-oiling from time to time.

I don't like water-based floor varnish as it usually has a satin finish and looks a bit lifeless. Too much looks milky.

I varnished all my floors using Ronseal Mattcoat:

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/ultra-tough-varnish

It's a solvent-based polyeurethane varnish, gives a nice matt finish and holds up well to wear (been walking on it for 7 years now). Solvent based varnishes do tend to deepen the colour of pine flooring, so do a test patch to make sure you're happy with the colour.

Cheers
Richard

(a) Osmo Wax Oil

I'm not a fan of shiny varnishes and the like so used Osmo Polyx Hard wax Oil on totally untreated floorboards (victorian) and i was really happy with it. Easy to apply, very moisture/grease resistant and a warm, natural colour. In theory i think you are meant to re-apply, but we never did in 4 years and it was fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back