What wood for a wooden bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two plastic shelving units and I would like to replace them with a 5x2 wooden bench but it has to have two shelves and a strong top just in case I fit a vice. I've looked on b&q website but i'm not to sure what wood to use for the shelves but for the frame they have 75mm x 47mm sawn kiln dried timber or 100mm x 47mm sawn kiln dried timber or 89mm x 38mm cls timber. So could anyone recommend what wood to buy as if I bought it from b&q it would cost about £100.

Sponsored Links
Assume you mean 5ft X 2ft?
A couple of 18mm sheets of mdf ripped thru the length [2X8] would give enough material for unit 5x2 with two shelves and offcut would make uprights and also enough to double up on top depth to take a vice.Nice and heavy so would not move around in use.
Is that a metal or woodworking vice?

Yes I mean 5ft X 2ft. The vice will be a metal one but it will only be used occasionally. As the shed gets a bit damp would osb or ply be better than mdf.

In a shed ply would be better, osb is too fragile for a secure vice fixing.

Sponsored Links
Don't buy it from a diy store, go to your local timber mechant or sawmill. If I was spending £100 I would expect enough timber to build a small shed!!

I've built a few workbenches, always used 3x2 for the framework and for the top I have used old kitchen worktop on a couple, scaffold boards on one, and the last one was 22x150mm 2nd grade planks.

All have had vices bolted to them and been more than strong enough

I only need to buy the wood for the frame and top as my boy has taken a storage unit apart so I will glue the wood together to make two shelves to save myself some money. If I buy the wood for the top from wickes it will cost £17.59 for planed softwood 18x144mmx1.8m pk5. Then if I buy the frame from b&q it will cost £53.80 for 10 pieces of sawn kiln dried timber (L)2400 x (W)100 x (T)47mm. So would anyone know how much I would pay for 4x2 or 3x2 from a timber merchant as my car is off the road at the moment so that's why I was going to use b&q and wickes as the only other places around here is robert price or a handymans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back