What would be a reaonable cost for this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please would someone tell me what would be a reasonable price for this work?
1.drain down hot water cylinder

2.drain down heating system

3. replace nut and washer between coil and cylinder

4. replace 28mm to 3/4 female prestex

5. refill system and test out

My elderly mum has been quoted £198.96 + vat for this work which will take approx 2hrs

Sponsored Links
:eek: :eek:

Presumably you mean between the primary feed pipe and the cylinder coil connection?

Half an hour going on all day, depending, and a high chance of a leak later.

Sorry, too busy, I seem to have to count the hairs on the back of my hand .....

sounds like a mornings work, [4 hrs] inc venting and testing, add on inhibitor and fittings ,pot of tea, choc digestives, its ok price

Sponsored Links
dcwuk, sorry its not a good idea to ask for guestimates / is this right / how much on forums. :cry:
too many "unseen" things, it could also go "pete tong" :cry:

View media item 2443

You're entitled to your opinion Breezer, but nobody HAS to answer.
Even you.

dcwuk, sorry its not a good idea to ask for guestimates / is this right / how much on forums. :cry:
too many "unseen" things, it could also go "pete tong" :cry:

View media item 2443

The price is for the work that a company intends to carry out at my mums house and is based on two hours total time using the materials listed.
the price assumes a straight forward job of stopping a small leak on my mothers installation. I am only asking is the price for the work listed reasonable? Anything else that develops from this work is excluded from their estimate.
Personally i think its a ridiculous amount of money given the cost of the materials and not being a H&V engineer or plumber i thought i would ask on here

ChrisR";p="960024 said:
:eek: :eek:

Presumably you mean between the primary feed pipe and the cylinder coil connection?

Yes i believe that is correct i assume the quote appears so high just in case things go tits up?

If we knew that everything would come apart perfectly, everytime.. it would all go together perfectly everytime and that the unexpected would never happen, then prices would be a lot lower.. but they dont... The unexpected happens and we have to price that in to our quotes.

2 hours work for me would be £100 + VAT local, plus parts, so probably around £130-£140 + VAT.

I probably wouldn't take on a job like this though. More trouble than it's worth.

presumably you want the work guaranteed. you will also want him to rectify any accidental damage(liability insurance) you expect him to have dust sheets , the correct tools and transport to go and get the parts and return to and from the property (transport insurance, tax, maintenance, fuel) etc etc. Get the message.

Personally i think its a ridiculous amount of money given the cost of the materials and not being a H&V engineer or plumber i thought i would ask on here

The cost of the materials is minute.

However there are two hours work involved!

If you go to a solicitor you will find that they charge about £300 + per hour for work they do in their own offices.

Bearing in mind that there will probably be an hours travelling/parking time. Why do you consider £66 per hour is a "ridiculous amount of money" ?

Why do you apparently think that a skilled plumber should be paid less than a solicitor/accountant/doctor etc?

In any case the original sealing washer is on the INSIDE of the cylinder. Any usual repair would not be able to reinstate the original situation.

Tony

Honest enough price for what can be a pain of a job. Providing they don`t charge any extra if it runs over 2 hours.
You have a choice if you think its too dear get someone else in

Gunna have my say now.....i don't think this is in anyway unreasonable. Your working on an old system, with issues and peotential problems that may and often do arise. Once a quote is given risk passes to the engineer....ie fixed price. So if he spends 2 hours trying to unairlock a system say he still gets paid the same. Customers need to realise that yes, 80% of the time a fair price offered is a fair price paid, sometimes you as an engineer have to build a cushion into a price, as has been stated, the 'work' may consist of 2 hours, the travel there and back may add another 1.5, and what about issues? Maybe it goes sweet, sometimes it doesn't. I don't bitch if i struggle to get an old joint to seal and it takes me longer.......the alternative is to quote hrly rate, but then the risk passes back to consumer and this one seems to want his cake and eat it....fixed price but it's too much.....ok, pay by the hour. It maybe a tad high, but i wouldn't crucify, we ain't seen the job. The amount of times i have kicked myself in the past for saying, oh thats x on the phone.....to find, no access, old imperial pipes, sludged systems....etc etc...So, now i learned my leasson and add a little cushion to jobs It's up to the customer to accept or not. I am not condoning ripping people off but take changing an imersion.....some i drain, disconnect the electrics, hard push with spanner and replace....20 mins. Others, old wiring literally falls to peices, the bright spark who fitted the cylinder has faced the immersion to the back, it won't come out, i sweat and curse, i drill it, i replace, it weeps, i drain i rewrap, i fill, it locks up, i replace wiring, old junction box splits i replace nearly 2 hrs...1 price....you get my meaning......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back