What would u recommend as replacement 4 Suprima 60

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect that on Tuesday I may be buying a new boiler because the heat exchanger in my Potterton Suprima 60 has a crack in it. It picked a cracker of a time to go wrong ' New Years Eve' :(

If replacing it I would like to get something that will slot in as a replacment without too much work.
I see B&Q are selling Biasi and Ravenheat, are they any good?
Whats a decent boiler for reasonable money.

The current system has 10 radiators in a 3 bed semi....

Happy New Year to you all...

Sponsored Links
I have ALL your threads about your Suprima AND your leaking rads.

This makes me cautious! I have this suspicion that your system was installed "on the cheap" and that all your problems have resulted from difficiencies on installation.

Both Biasi and Ravenheat are capable of good service but ONLY if they are installed properly on a clean system with inhibitor. I would prefer the M96 Biasi because it uses a stainless steel heat exchanger whereas the Ravenheat equivalent has an alloy one.

Are you able to tell us who installed your system and what treatment was used?

Tony Glazier

[Copied form other thread]
The system was installed by a plumber on recommendation of a neighbour of mine who is and ex-plumber. He uses the same guy to do his work for him so I feel reasonably confident that he knows what he is doing.

The boiler is sited in the loft and is fed from a pressure sphere that I keep topped up to just under 1 bar (closed system). There is a little device near the boiler that vents out air (it hisses when refiling the system). The whole system was installed from scratch, previous system was pulled out including the hot water tank. When you say there is something seriously wrong, what do you mean, is it a quality of water issue?.
What process would cause the system to become corrosive?

I am seriously considering replacing more rads before B&Q's 15% discount scheme ends tomorrow.
[Copied from other thread]

wot ever boiler you have fitted just make sure system is flushed properly and suprima HE would be a pretty much straight swap :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
All I can say is that to me, as a professional in the heating industry, there is something seriously wrong if you have ANY radiators springing leaks in 4-5 years. You have had at least THREE!

As well as leaking rads you have had a cracked heat exchanger in your boiler.

A cracked HE implies either you have no pump over run because the pump is wired wrongly, too low flow rate, or you have a seriously sludged up system!

If your rads have lost so much metal that they are leaking then that sludge has to go somewhere and the boiler HE is an obvious place.

You have a SERIOUSLY bad system! All the fault of the installer I think!

Perhaps you are going to have a new boiler fitted without power flushing the system? Power flushing takes 4-5 hours and uses a noisy pump and costly chemicals by Camco, Fernox or Sentinel !

Tony

Thanks for your interest guys...

When I drained down the system the water was clean. I removed the heat exchanger expecting to find it full of crap and it was clean, no more that a couple of eggcups full of crap, is that to be expected?

On the issue of a powerflush I think that is probably a good idea to have done after the new install wheter it be a new heat exchanger (if I can get one) or a new boiler...

damorad said:
On the issue of a powerflush I think that is probably a good idea to have done after the new install.

Whilst you may think that, most conscientious installers would insist on power flushing BEFORE any new boiler or HE.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back