what's it called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I saw an adaptor / connector "thingy" in my friends kitchen light socket. (ceiling rose)

forgot to take a photo :(

basically they have a normal ceiling rose light fitting & instead of removing the ceiling rose & fitting a new light unit, (flourescent tube) they have just connected the tube flex to a cylindrical plug which then "plugs" into the original bayonet fitting where a normal light bulb would usually go...

havent seen these before, anyone know what they're called & where sells them? if they'ren not run of the mill, are they ce approved / safe in the uk?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have not seen one for years probaly called a bayonet cap adaptor.
Years ago they used to be fitted to irons which the lady of the house would plug into the light fittings lampholder in order to do the ironing.
I suspect these are obsolete now and that your friends
flourescent fitting is not earthed, if so the flourescent needs to be installed correctly ASAP

:)

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

He lives with his folks & I assumed it was an old fitting :) wasn't sure it was even a uk fitting as his parents are not british..

the photo you put in taylortwocities, it doesn't look like that, or any part of it tbh mate. to try & explain it easily, it's like the socket backwards. where the flex usually enters & then you have a socket for the bulb, imagine the same flex entry hole & then a small fitting, looks just like the socket, but instead it's a plug... the flex comes out the bottom of the adaptor & goes off to an old but standard flourescent fitting with diffuser...

I'll mention it politely next time i'm around...

thanks for all the replies / advice, it's nothing as nice as the two argos ones :)

ta :D

i know what you mean, they do not have an earth and so the fluorescent fitting is probably not safe as i doubt its double insulated.

a safe way of doing this if they really wanted is to replace the ceiling rose with a "greg rose" or "klik lok" type rose. then the plug fitted to the flex would have an earth etc. would look unsightly in a house in my opinion.

TTC I thought you had been around a while, seeing that piccy confirms it .Do you use them for your lunchbreaks? one for kettle and one for sandwich toaster?

Hi guys,

yep conny, thats it. :oops:

i'll let em know, i don't think it's the best looking fitting in the world, but i'd imagine his parents have been using it since the fifties too :confused:

the flourescent fitting is a 4ft tube i believe, it's screwed into the ceiling about a foot from the rose, no not supported by the connection lol..

thanks,

I thought that I'd post the picture to create a little nostalgia.

You know, the smell of Lifebuoy soap, the rasp of the pumice stone, the way frozen Jubblies go white at the top when you suck them, the creak of the mangle....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back