Whats stopped you voting Labour

Sponsored Links
There are no wealthy left winger msn owners. Do you think it would be viable to start a new one?

Whether you like it or not, the electorate are pushed daily by the msn into how good the Tories are and how bad the commies are. Note I put commies because labour is branded as commies by the media, and that's picked up on by various people in here as you see.

It's why I say that labour needs to split, call each side what you want, but it needs to differentiate from the extreme left and the centre left. It is a perpetual battle to get some people to even think about not voting conservative, no matter how appalling they currently are. You yourself fit into that category.

Considering how extreme both sides have been (though labour is now less extreme under Starmer), it surprises me that there is not a strong middle ground party. The country is crying out for a non extreme party.

"There are no wealthy left winger msn owners."
Goes without saying, as there is no left-wing MSN......
My question is, why?

"Do you think it would be viable to start a new one?"
Pass, but Labour should be looking at any avenue to get back into government.

"It is a perpetual battle to get some people to even think about not voting conservative, no matter how appalling they currently are. "
Same goes for perennial Labour voters (although the recent collapse of the red wall give the lie to that, at least in the short term).

"You yourself fit into that category."
1. you know nothing of my voting habits.
2. if you are representative of Labour's campaign strategy, and think that trying to belittle, sneer, and insult a potential voter is a valid way to "get them to your way of thinking", it's no wonder Labour are so hopeless in GEs.

"Considering how extreme both sides have been (though labour is now less extreme under Starmer), it surprises me that there is not a strong middle ground party. The country is crying out for a non extreme party."
Something on which we can agree.

it surprises me that there is not a strong middle ground party. The country is crying out for a non extreme party.
I'd hope it is, but I suspect it probably actually isn't. Everyone has their own version of "middle", so nobody could come up with a party that everyone could get behind.

Personally I'd like capitalism, stopping most benefits, controlled immigration, cut taxes for the working/middle classes and raising taxes for the rich, inheritance tax should be at least 50%. Some would say this means I'm one of those terrible "right wingers", others would say it's communism. I'd say this would be a fair balanced way of looking after the majority. But I doubt that a party with my mix of policies would get many votes. There are probably things in my list of policies that you or anyone else might think is terrible so you'd never vote for me. Likewise I probably wouldn't vote for your policies.

Politics in this miserable stupid country is less intelligent than ever before. It's a tribal bickering match based on insults and dislike of the other lot. This thread contains a good number of examples of this sort of thing, e.g. JohnD's noisy pointless bursts of insults towards others. Probably exactly how our self-serving political elite in both parties likes it to be.

What we really need is electoral reform, so that we end up with hung parliaments instead of absolute majorities. I thought the Tory/Lib Dem coalition mostly worked pretty well, it was one of the more stable and productive periods of our history.

Sponsored Links
So we can also agree if there is no left wing msn, that the electorate are pushed daily towards the Tories and away from Labour ?

I'd hope it is, but I suspect it probably actually isn't. Everyone has their own version of "middle", so nobody could come up with a party that everyone could get behind.

What we really need is electoral reform, so that we end up with hung parliaments instead of absolute majorities. I thought the Tory/Lib Dem coalition mostly worked pretty well, it was one of the more stable and productive periods of our history.
I agree with a lot of that. It wasn't that good a productive time, but it did rein in the Tories from doing everything they wanted.

It is certainly a better direction than the extremes we keep getting lately.

36 million people in Britain get more from the state than they pay in tax. That's over half the population. Who says we have austerity? Who says we have a right-wing government?

Remember, the definition of left-wing is "living of other peoples' money". We are a communist state.

Last edited by a moderator:
36 million people in Britain get more from the state than they pay in tax. That's over half the population. Who say we have austerity? Who says we have a right-wing government?

Remember, the definition of left-wing is "living of other peoples' money". We are a communist state.

Just a minor point of course, but you have your facts, and your definitions wrong.

I'll be voting Labour next time
Please don't. Labour is not the answer,
IMO the Tory party are such a bunch of ****z, that much of the anti Tory drivel posted on here, is now actually true. The nastier aspects of their policies have magnified a gazillion times over the last few years.
You are correct.
The problem I see is that the divide between rich and poor is genuinely increasing. At a fair rate too. When you get to the point that the tide of poverty is up round the necks of professional workers things have clearly gone too far.
A pack of four tins of Heinz baked beans is now four quid.
Trouble is, will any party be able to really make change?
None of the currently existing parties, no.
Bring out the guillotines
Now you're talking.

A pack of four tins of Heinz baked beans is now four quid.
Not really a fair yardstick, Heinz have long since given up selling everyday food, they charge an idiot premium for those who are set in their ways and are brand snobs.

Own-brand alternatives used to be a bit less than the branded leader. In this example they're under half the price (e.g. £1.60 in Tesco). Heinz must be laughing their heads off at their stupid customers, who presumably have never even tried the alternatives and probably imagine that the own-brand ones contain barbed wire and rat poison.

Having said that, we don't actually know whether Heinz is over-pricing - I'm sure they are, but it's possible that they're selling at a reasonable price but the supermarkets are all adding a huge margin. I doubt this is the case though, if so then at least one of them would charge a lot less.

Food inflation is definitely high, a lot higher than the overall figure, but let's not give sensationalist figures to try and over-make a point.

That link doesn't fit in with another number that has been mentioned. 1/3 of households get something back from the tax take.

The whole area is a sign of a broken system aimed at a low wage economy and low inflation. The basic economics used changed a while ago as the UK and some others can not run with a trading surplus. Some inflation is needed to make the system work. They chose 2%, Currently and this isn't the only time item prices inflate that the UK can not directly control. Prices may reduce if demand is reduced. The people who produce need to sell to make a profit. If demand falls they can cut back their production facilities or profit margins. Inflation always tends to level out at some number eventually once the demand etc area settles. So the gov reckons it will be 5% next year - OBR I assume.

So the tax take is used to allow people who do not earn enough to live at some level. They may not do their full 37hrs a week but that keeps unemployment levels lower. Seems they need to do 16hrs but that may have changed. There has been mutterings that they need to do more. 2 jobs etc if needed.No idea what happens if they can't do enough hours.

:) One pundit summed it up - would it matter if people paid an extra £1 for their big Mac. Hang on. LOL I had a lunch time snack from Burger King yesterday. Their pricing structure in interesting also the way they encourage people to spend more. The dearer items may pay for 3 not very busy people.

This has had world wide ripples in the past
On January 19, 2023, the United States hit its debt ceiling of $31.4 trillion
No further info seems to be available

Andy's chosen numbers include the imaginary value of services received.

For example if you are rushed to hospital and need a £10 000 operation and a £5,000 stay while recovering, Andy claims that you are a sponger receiving £15,000 from the taxpayer.

His numbers also include the value of state education. My neighbour's children pay no income tax or NI, but they go to school, so they're both parasites, eh, Andy?

What about an MP who claims over £5,000 for the electricity bill for his second home?

Pensioners don't pay National Insurance, and anyone with a taxable income below £12,570 doesn't pay income tax. So obviously the poor are spongers as well. How much tax does Andy want to squeeze out of the poor?

Andy is barmy.

The founder of the "modern" economics did have something interesting to say about imports. Don't worry. The country you import from will have plenty of money and will invest it even in areas that they sell too. ;) Well China has but politics kicks in. Oh no can't do that if someone can come up with a reason - usually a political one yet stuff from there continues to pour in and seems to be on the increase.

Japan did invest here but has it's own problems these days but some of their investments are still here. Some may have gone - pass. Same in the USA. Germany invested here.

Sponsored Links
Back