Whats the best car for DIY repairs ?

Any pre-Ford Volvo. You only use about three spanners for any job you care to name.

Sponsored Links
Get a moggy 1000. How many cars do you know with 2 sets of points ?

1 set for the ignition and another for the fuel pump :D classic.

I have a fiat cinquecento sporting, and of all the cars I have owned over the last 20 years, its the newest and easiest to work on despite its small engine bay, although I dont get much of a chance to do anything on it as its been really reliable, bet your all surprised at that :D

Not at all surprised Nik
Been driving Fiats for years with no letdowns
Oldest is a 1968 coupe still going strong
Then a 13 year old barchetta going like a bomb and a 10 year old Punto that just keeps going

Well i am with neo on this one, Mk2 golfs are easy to work on, cheap parts from GSF and suchlike, massive owners clubs and loads of forums, specialized websites etc...

I Have had 3 Mk2 Golfs (GTI's) and 1 Mk 1 and i have done all the jobs on them myself with a little help and i am by no means a mechanic!

Sponsored Links
Get a moggy 1000. How many cars do you know with 2 sets of points ?

1 set for the ignition and another for the fuel pump :D classic.
And a kickstart - When the fuel pump stops, you have to get out and kick the thing to get the fuel pump going again :LOL:

Indirect turbo diesel cars give lots of economy and miles for little maintenance. Go for a car with a Bosch injection pump that is operated by a throttle cable. Fly by wire is not so hot on these cars.

Cars I'd recommend:
BMW e36- one of the six cylinder cars, Change the oil regularly and that will be all you need to do for 200,000
BMW e30- older still, the 318is is a modern chain engine and zingy and peppy. The 325i is nice, but cylinder heads do crack. I still have one.
Pug 306 td. EVERYTHING goes wrong except the engine, which is loved in Africa and can be converted easily to run on cooking oil. I have one of these as a daily slogger, awful, but cheap.
Mk2 Golfs, as said above, well built, solid, cheap parts, reliable.
Older cars are more simple, I have an MGBGT (getting a Zetec engine fitted by me) and have recently sold a Capri which I fitted with a 2-litre injection engine from a Granada- the best of both!!! No crappy carbs, reliable yet simple efi... Lovely!

Any pre-2000 ford, got the wife a 1983 mk I fiesta though and that's a doddle to look after, and a laugh to drive.

I've been happy enough with my 2002 Volvo V40 - I've changed the alternator, belt, oil changes, brakes and no problems yet.

If I was single again or no kids I would definitely buy another Chrome bumper MGB. A set of spanners and a big hammer and u can take it to complete pieces. All parts still available and the most fun to be had in a cheap sports car. But they do need a lot of looking after. Keep it dry and it should be fine. Oh and yes they do break down occasionally but I always managed aroaside repair to get me home again. So simple to repair though.

Sponsored Links
Back