whats the best fittings to use in breeze block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question and no doubt a simple answer whats the best type of rawl plug/fitting to use on breeze block / dot and dab plasterboard walls?

Im wanting to put up a curtain pole which only has two mounting points and hang some fairly heavy suede curtains, when looked in Focus the heavy duty rawl plugs for breeze block walls are about 6 or 7 inches long, is there an alternative?

Am i right in thinking due to the weight if they arnt hefty fittings being breeze block the holes may crumble and the fittings fall out due to the weight on them?

Sponsored Links
any rule of thumb on how much longer the screw should be compared to the rawl plug or does it not really matter as long as its deep enough to go through the plug and then directly into the breeze block?

The screw can be the same size as the plug it bites into the plug it does not go through the plug into the breeze block.

Just when you drill, Drill a bit longer than the plug so you can hit the plug in past the plasterboard ( you can do this by tapping the screw into the plug gently.

Sponsored Links
AS long as you tap the plug in past the plasterboard you will not cause damage

Use a 10 or 12 screw as well. would be harder for the pole to pull the plug from the wall then.

Don't you all find that fixing curtain poles or rails is THE most tricky job to get right? I mean, they always supply tiny plates or clips that need to be screwed to the wall, meaning you can rarely get a good, thick screw into the wall? Or, if you can, the fittings are so small that you can see the edges of the hole behind it? Much worse with plasterboard walls and no convenient stud: diameter of big hole for pb plug > width of fitting.

Or is that just me.......

urm let me think ???

It's just you :LOL: It can be more difficult fixing in weetabix (plasterboard) but there are quite a few fixings on the market that should help you.

To be honest, and I REALLY do mean this, If i were to ever leave my lovely 1950's built home with brick inner and outer skins, i would never buy an house with drylined walls.

I plaster many houses and I have never nor ever will dryline a wall. If thats what the customer wanted, i would ask them to get another plasterer.

There you go you've started me off again about traditional craftsman

All i want for christmas is a bag of browning...

brown rawl plugs generally ask for a 7mm drill hole. if you are going into a relatively soft substrate then it is sometimes wise to use a 6mm bit. drilling without hammer helps too.

diyisfree said:
I have never nor ever will dryline a wall. If thats what the customer wanted, i would ask them to get another plasterer.

Is there actually any good reason for this?

Breeze block is generally a porous block of some material or other in sizes in multiples of brick sizes. The first ones were made of a sort of cindery type material made of power station waste mixed withe cement and usually very dark /black in colour Very brittle /crumbly texture Later types are usually called names like Thermalite or something similar. Much closer texture but softer and lighter in both texture and weight and therefore almost as hard to get a fixing in, These are made I believe from fine ash and cement with air bubbled into them to keep down weight and increase insulation values. Has this helped at all? J.m.

Best for fixing in thermalise would be brown plug 6mm hole, drill through plasterboard and into block work, bang plug through plasterboard with screw inserted to get it all the way through, when fixing pole do not over tighten screw or it will pull the pboard back towards the block behind causing the finished surface to crack (possibly)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back