What's the best joint for a bathroom cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an italian sink 75cm wide by 50cm deep for my bathroom. I want it to rest on a cabinet with two doors and four 4" legs.

A local joinery will be making the unit for me and I want to make sure I'm asking all the right questions and getting all the right answers.

I asked what kind of joints will be used to make the piece. The answer was Mortice and tenon.

Just wanted a quick second opinion here. Is this kind of joint okay? Should I be specifying anything else?

The wood I'm using is beech.

Any caveats I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Mortice and tenon is one of the most widely used joints for the base, ie joining the legs to the rails to hold the cabinet. The cabinet itself can be made in a number of ways, if its asthetics ou are after you could go for dovetail joints. If your not fussed then leave it up to the joiner and he will use what is appropriate.

If its for use in the bathroom make sure you have a good finish to protect it from the damp.

Great. I'll leave it to the joiner then. Sounds like I got the second opinion I needed.

Final question. The joiner will be staining and varnishing the piece, but suggested I apply a second coat of oil based varnish prior to fitting it in the bathroom.

Any advice on which varnish to use or which you may not be so happy with?

Thanks again,
joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back