whats the best way to install downlighter cables on first fi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all whats the best way to install downlighter cables on first fix
Got 16 to fit on ground floor. Don't really trust the person fitting the plaster boards to keep the cables in the same place as I leave them
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi all whats the best way to install downlighter cables on first fix
Got 16 to fit on ground floor. Don't really trust the person fitting the plaster boards to keep the cables in the same place as I leave them
Thank you
Try talking to the plasterer and the customer about where the lights are going.
Clip them to the joist near to the point you want them to appear in the ceiling.
Use this type of connector - helps with insulation resistance and continuity testing.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/TLCT100C.JPG

mark on the floor where the cables are (drop a plumbline)

Tell the plasterboarder that £50 will be charged for relocating each cable not left in the right place.

Sponsored Links
This is the way. :D

Decide where you want the downlights, leaving room where joists are.

Mark on the nearest joist where the light will roughly go.

Clip the cables to the joists, keep cables close to the mark. Where you have two ends of cable, just tape them together.

Try to arrange the cable ends so they are loosely in the void, rather than hanging down.

Do NOT ask the plasterer to pull these wires through the plasterboard. Let him board straight over.

If there's any cables you do want pulling through, for example a smoke detector cable, clip it to very bottom edge of the joist, and even write on the bottom of the joist in marker pen, 'pull thru'.

Draw a plan of where the lights are, with all measurements.

Keep this plan under your pillow every night till you need it again.

When ceiling is filled or skimmed, but before the final coats of paint, mark out the lights. Use a chalkline to ensure they are in straight lines.

Drill holes, fish cables out. The cables taped together will make pulling them out easier, as when you pull one cable, the other cable comes with it.

Do NOT get the plasterer to pull these spotlight cables through the plasterboard. He will NOT make the holes in the right places.

Cheers sparkwright's just what I had planed to do.Have done it before that way and caught the cable
It's just a prattling about was hope someone was going give me a magic wand

I hate downlights. But the client gets what the client wants.

I go along with sparwright, but (and plasterers hate this) I like to cut my downlight holes and discover the cables before the ceiling is skimmed.
Then, if there are any discrepancies they can be recitified reasonably easily)

Discrepancies include:
  • cables jammed under plasterboard,
    insulation stuffed into the downlight void
    tacker adding extra bits of wood to support board joins (usually this will be right at the site of the downlight),
    etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back