Whats the best way to protect a kitchen worktop near the sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rental property that has a worktop used as an upstand behind the sink. I know this isn't ideal but I am wondering if there's any way of sealing it to keep it going a bit longer?

Would sbr work?
Or wood hardener?
I have both.
There isn't much of a gap so I am thinking something thin like that could run in the gap.

Sponsored Links
Don't really understand your question. A photo would help tremendously.

If you mean the upstand worktop is sitting on worktop with an inset sink then bed the upstanding on Silicon sealer or similar.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
B****y autocorrect - especially when the tablet does it second time on posting

Reactions: CBW
Keep it going for longer - is it being replaced? Maybe tiled splash back?

Thanks for your answers, the upsstand worktop is sitting on the back of the worktop.
Ideally I don't want to remove it.

• Thanks
I'm wondering whether ct1 sealant / adhesive would be suitable on worktops?
I find silicone doesn't last long.

Rip it off and put more suitable splash back there. Pics would help to see issue.

What do you mean by "long"? Silicone can take some abuse and should last for years.
we have a silicone attached upstand behind the work surface, put in an unknown number of years before we moved in 25 years ago, it is still intact and whole.

• Thanks
I'm wondering whether ct1 sealant / adhesive would be suitable on worktops?
I find silicone doesn't last long.
If silicon doesn't stay in place for long then I doubt that CT1 will either. If the silicon is coming off than I suspect the surfaces haven't been prepared properly.
I'd silicon is there presently it needs cutting off without damaging the surfaces of the worktop and splashback.
If you use a silicon 'eater' to remove the old silicon then that needs cleaning off carefully. Make sure you remove it from gaps. If it can be washed off with water or dish washing liquid then follow that up with a rag soaked in Isoprople alcohol.
Use a Tool, even the cheapest One from the Orange Barn will do. Keep the tool clean as you use it. If possible leave the silicon 24 hours to cure.

Well it depends, if the silicone has detached itself from the worktop to upstand then you'll have moisture between the two surfaces.

Remove all of the silicone, warm area with hairdryer to assist drying, cover area with towel and allow to dry for a few days.

When you re silicone, the silicone bead has to be a minimum of 6mm to be effective. Don't buy cheap silicone buy Dow corning 785+ also buy smoothing tools preferably one that says 4mm 6mm 8mm 10mm etc.

Apply silicone liberally, spray the silicone with a strong mix of washing up liquid to water, spray smoothing tool and start to smooth the silicone at 6mm or greater, or go on you tube for an instructional.

I've always done it this way, never had a call back.

20240404_184705.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back