Whats the best way to support the 1st floor ceiling joists & rafters during lintel replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I am going to replace the internal skin lintel over the 1st floor bedroom window, its a 1930s semi detached house, hipped cut roof, wooden lintel and the window is 1250mm wide and on the rear elevation, ceiling joists/rafters run front to back (4x2's) and the load is carried on the inner skin above the lintel with about 2 courses between the lintel and wood wall plate...

I cannot prop from inside - the dining room below has been renovated and the dining room ceiling is battened off the joist work for various reasons, so I cannot prop this and then directly prop above to support the ceiling/roof. I have thought about propping/strongboy from outside and supporting the wall plate externally through the outer skin and on to the inner skin/wallplate whilst removing the 2 courses below and then the lintel however the distance to ground level is a little over 5 metres - exceeding the longest acrow prop length of 4.8M, in addition there is nothing above the window itself on the outer skin so I will discuss with an SE or seek advice to have the lintel span both skins and the cavity with nothing above the outer skin for the moment, that said I do intend to carry out a loft conversion off the existing walls so a correctly sized lintel would be an advantage at this stage (planning & BC required etc).

Any suggestions on supporting the ceiling joists/rafters would be hugely appreciated as I cannot find anything, anywhere on the internet?? Can I acrow prop off scaffolding? sounds crazy to me but someone somewhere has done this before...

Sponsored Links
So, I am going to replace the internal skin lintel over the 1st floor bedroom window, its a 1930s semi detached house, hipped cut roof, wooden lintel and the window is 1250mm wide and on the rear elevation, ceiling joists/rafters run front to back (4x2's) and the load is carried on the inner skin above the lintel with about 2 courses between the lintel and wood wall plate...

I cannot prop from inside - the dining room below has been renovated and the dining room ceiling is battened off the joist work for various reasons, so I cannot prop this and then directly prop above to support the ceiling/roof. I have thought about propping/strongboy from outside and supporting the wall plate externally through the outer skin and on to the inner skin/wallplate whilst removing the 2 courses below and then the lintel however the distance to ground level is a little over 5 metres - exceeding the longest acrow prop length of 4.8M, in addition there is nothing above the window itself on the outer skin so I will discuss with an SE or seek advice to have the lintel span both skins and the cavity with nothing above the outer skin for the moment, that said I do intend to carry out a loft conversion off the existing walls so a correctly sized lintel would be an advantage at this stage (planning & BC required etc).

Any suggestions on supporting the ceiling joists/rafters would be hugely appreciated as I cannot find anything, anywhere on the internet?? Can I acrow prop off scaffolding? sounds crazy to me but someone somewhere has done this before...
Can you not spread the first floor load with a doubled up pair of scaffold boards? There wont be an enormous load and you won't need to wind the acrows up much.

We did this lintel job with just one acrow and a strongy...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall, appreciate the photos. I guess I was concerned about the roof loading on the wall plate, on to the strong boys and props and then down through the scaffolding. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back