What's the best way to

Eddie M said:
This is getting a bit off topic here but.... Possibly in the future imagine all data being transmitted via Cat 5.

200+ digital channels possibly in HDTV and 7.1 Surround sound
100,000 Mbps Broadband (based on 1994 usual modem speed of 9.6 kbps, 2004 broadband at 1000 mbps)
All telephony VoIP
DVD playback distribution with 7.1 surround sound
Streaming Audio
Video on Demand
Household secutiy monitoring

Cat 5, I don't think so !!

Remember when Bill Gates famously said, I can't see why anyone would need more than 640 K of memory !!

Also there is only a need for 5 computers in the whole world.

Well, with a packet-switched system is you wouldn't be broadcasting everything at once to everywhere. The "let's stick everything on one cable" is done with some of the "send video around your home" systems, but only due to historical reasons i.e. people are used to having 5 channels multiplexed onto one aerial lead.

The TV would only need to receive 1 channel at once, not all 200 + DVD player!

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Eddie M said:
This is getting a bit off topic here but.... Possibly in the future imagine all data being transmitted via Cat 5.

200+ digital channels possibly in HDTV and 7.1 Surround sound
100,000 Mbps Broadband (based on 1994 usual modem speed of 9.6 kbps, 2004 broadband at 1000 mbps)
All telephony VoIP
DVD playback distribution with 7.1 surround sound
Streaming Audio
Video on Demand
Household secutiy monitoring

Cat 5, I don't think so !!

Remember when Bill Gates famously said, I can't see why anyone would need more than 640 K of memory !!

Also there is only a need for 5 computers in the whole world.

Well, with a packet-switched system is you wouldn't be broadcasting everything at once to everywhere. The "let's stick everything on one cable" is done with some of the "send video around your home" systems, but only due to historical reasons i.e. people are used to having 5 channels multiplexed onto one aerial lead.

The TV would only need to receive 1 channel at once, not all 200 + DVD player!

Depends where the decoder / distribution box is, currently, yes it would!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back