What's the biggest boiler you have worked on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At work in our main boiler room we have 3 ideal sectional cast irons with riello burners rated at 500kw each

Our gas bill just for this building is 19k a quarter in the winter :eek:

Before that we have 3 allen ignis oiled fired burners can't remember how much 120 second ( I think )we got through

How big have you been

Sponsored Links
did a big warm air unit once. was at least 700mm wide and 1300 high. :p

1st it was ALLEN YGNIS, secondly no such oil as 120 Second I think you mean 200 second or possible 960Second these were the common residual oils commonly used on pressure jet burners.

The largest boiler I have worked on is a Paxman Ultranomic Steam boiler rated at 3,000Lb/hr steam (30,000,000Btu/hr) approx it was fitted with a Hamworthy rotary cup burner using 960second fuel oil at a rate of about 50 gallons per Hr! there were three of these installed in the boiler house ofd a Barracks at colchester garrison.. we wre always getting called out in the middle of the night to Low water alarms due to the Weir steam operated feed pumps stopping ... those were the days?? :LOL:

1st it was ALLEN YGNIS, secondly no such oil as 120 Second I think you mean 200 second or possible 960Second these were the common residual oils commonly used on pressure jet burners.

The largest boiler I have worked on is a Paxman Ultranomic Steam boiler rated at 3,000Lb/hr steam (30,000,000Btu/hr) approx it was fitted with a Hamworthy rotary cup burner using 960second fuel oil at a rate of about 50 gallons per Hr! there were three of these installed in the boiler house ofd a Barracks at colchester garrison.. we wre always getting called out in the middle of the night to Low water alarms due to the Weir steam operated feed pumps stopping ... those were the days?? :LOL:

Wow that must have been fascinating. I loved our old smelly boiler room the new one has lost it's soul

Thanks for the correction, I am not an expert with this things the bloody oil was like treacle

Is it true oil was rated this way by pouring some down a vertical slope and then measuring the time it too to cover a set distance the time then denoted it's viscosity hence a 200 sec oil

Is that a load of bull ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Been in a MOD plant up in lincs today that when I started had a paxman in.plant is all decommissioned now.
Working in MoD plant was where I learnt my trade,coal,steam,oil and gas, don't see many lads doing those any more.

Been in a MOD plant up in lincs today that when I started had a paxman in.plant is all decommissioned now.
Working in MoD plant was where I learnt my trade,coal,steam,oil and gas, don't see many lads doing those any more.

We used to have a company called controlled flame boilers look after ours and Jordans seem to ring a bell

Anyone know if they are still going ?

The measurement of fuel is Seconds is actually thime a known quantity took to run through a red wood filter type 1 of known density hence ***Seconds Redwood no1 these days we rate fuels diffrently
Kerosine 28Sec = Class C2
Gas Oil 35 Sec = Class D
Fuel oil 200 Sec = Class E
Fuel oil 960 Sec = Class H
Fuel oil 3500 Sec = Class H this is practically Crude oil as used in power stations etc

The measurement of fuel is Seconds is actually thime a known quantity took to run through a red wood filter type 1 of known density hence ***Seconds Redwood no1 these days we rate fuels diffrently
Kerosine 28Sec = Class C2
Gas Oil 35 Sec = Class D
Fuel oil 200 Sec = Class E
Fuel oil 960 Sec = Class H
Fuel oil 3500 Sec = Class H this is practically Crude oil as used in power stations etc

Good info cheers

So just how thick is crude could you stand something up in it ?

Hi Wangerman Controlled Flame boilers are still going - they used to be Hertfordshire, but i think they relocated

Jordans are still going, I think they are mainly domestic boiler engineers these days, I come accross a number of their sites in Hertfordshire -worcester heatslaves & the like!! :p

Cheers for the info I liked the lads at CFB there wasn't much they didn't know about our old Allen Ygnis's

Hertfordshire would make sense as we are also based there

I used to work on ships boilers, but I never asked how many BTU,s they where :LOL:

wall hung and weight wise..............Baxi Ecogen............... it comes with a forklift truck:0

Cut my teeth on the above as yourself,got to say,it was a brilliant time,never to be repeated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back