Whats the max wattage for a GX53 bulb - need surface mounted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you get anything brighter than a 13W on these?
Looking to light the breakfast room with 4 of these and 2 downlighters )prob 35W halogen or maybe low energy CFL) Room is 12' 4" X 8' 4"

Reason for using GX53 bulbs is that we have a vaulted ceiling and cant use normal downlighters which will cut into the ceiling so i need surface mounted and these look aesthetically pleasing. I think the builder said it was to do with building regs or eating into the insulation.
thanks

thinking of this kind of thing
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1274345949211&isSearch=false

Sponsored Links
13W does seem to be largest version and not really surprising as to get light out of a fluorescent lamp needs surface area.
I would look at 2D light fittings which are much bigger but still surface mount and more appropriate to light a room rather than a picture on a wall.
Although you can get higher output discharge lighting you would not want to be close to it so fluorescent or cold cathode lighting would seem to be what you require. And as the surface area increases the idea of mounting as a pod becomes silly.

i had a quick look at the 2d but they are not really in keeping with the kitchen. I'm looking for something small, compact and looks good. Can anyone recommend?

I was thinking of a spotlight track - the commercial kind that you see in shops. They look good.

Sponsored Links
Not the room I dont think for a cornice. Plus as the breakfast table will be underneath id like to use spotlights of some kind. I guess the CFL will hardly give a 'spot' but they are cheaper to run.

I think il get a light and wire it up to try it least that way i can find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back