What's the most efficient way to use my gas c/h?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I'd asked this question in November.

I'm unemployed, living in rented accommodation, desperate to keep my gas bill down. The last one was a shock, and my heart sank when they announced the latest price rise (I'm with npower).

I'm in a 3 bed end-of-terrace, it seems fairly well insulated, double-glazed, reaonably draft-free. I was sharing with 2 others until last July, since then I've had the place to myself, occupying 1 room upstairs + kitchen/bathroom

There are radiators in all rooms, I currently have the heating active in the kitchen, hallway, and my room. Sometimes the bathroom. I keep all doors closed. I'm fairly tolerant of cold, so normally I don't switch on till dusk, and switch off about 10 pm. Downstairs warms up a lot quicker than upstairs. I retire about midnight and open my window because I can't sleep in a warm stuffy room.

I'm sure I'm not making the most effective use of my money, could I adopt a better regime?

Geometer

Sponsored Links
Details of boiler and controls? Do you have a good level of roof insulation? Have you considered changing gas supplier? Getting in others to share rent and bills might be a good move too.

How user-friendly is your landlord? If you found out about grants or offered to install it, do you think he might shell out a couple of hundred quid for an extra layer of roof insulation? It's in his long-term interest.

If you have sash windows the heat-shrinking plastic film is good for keeping drafts out, it doesn't cost much at all.

Sponsored Links
Details of boiler and controls?.
The boiler says "British Gas CDi series". do you need more than that?
There's a remote control thermostat, but neither me nor landlord can figure out how it works and he's lost the manual. It's currently showing 14C, which is comfortable.

Do you have a good level of roof insulation? .
there is some, but i can't get into the loft to investigate further.

Have you considered changing gas supplier? .
i would, but landlord is selling the house and I'll be moving out by the end of feb, maybe sooner, so doesn't seem much point. I know its late in the day to ask, but if I can save myself a few quid over the next few weeks by turning something on or off, then i will. Besides, I'm curious, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong for future reference.

Getting in others to share rent and bills might be a good move too.
you have to be joking. The last two did a runner owing me £850 in unpaid bills. I won't see that again. (see also above re landlord)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back