Whats the worst case if sludge remover was left in C/H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the worst case senerio if sludge remover was left in a central heating system?

Sponsored Links
Depends on what you have left in ?
I left some Sentinel X400 in my system for nearly two years - went in when the mid-position valve was changed; came out when the system was drained for a new boiler install.

The water which came out was like squid ink.

Sponsored Links
well it wouldnt have done any damage leaving it in that long but the bad news is that it wouldnt have done much good either, some stuff is really aggressive and could cause damage but X400 is unlikely to have caused any damage

Whats the worst case senerio if sludge remover was left in a central heating system?

Look at the data sheets.

It is usually acidic, to dissolve any limescale deposits. If it is left in, it will make the water far more conductive and will accelerate galvanic corrosion. The inside of the radiators will corrode, the corrosion products will form sludge and blockages in the pipework* and you will get 'air' (actually hydrogen) collecting in the radiators.

* PS possibly also causing a boiler failure if it settles in the heat exchanger.

Actually X400 is pretty mild and does not dissolve anything.

Its only a chellating agent.

I find that if left for too long most of the suspended sludge just settles again!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back