What's this post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a word to the mods - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/whats-this-part.603068/

I don't believe the question has anything to do with gas, I'm sure what the OP is referring to is the flow/return from/to the main HEX. Not too sure as I'm not very familiar with these boxes but It's definitely not the gas train side of things.

That being said, the OP shouldn't really be in there given it's a room sealed case unless he is competent and has the ability & equipment to check and test that it has been sealed and is running correctly when the case is back on.

Sponsored Links
hi Rab if you see anything like that just click the report blue link under the post and it alerts a mod to see it, dont get too drunk tonight mate

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
@Madrab - you may have answered your own question? You said OP shouldn’t be in there unless qualified, so if they are then question should be asked in the cc. Although not specifically gas advice, you know as you pointed out the cover forms part of the combustion circuit no should be tested for safety afterwards.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@Madrab - you may have answered your own question? You said OP shouldn’t be in there unless qualified, so if they are then question should be asked in the cc. Although not specifically has advice, you know as you pointed out the cover forms part of the combustion circuit no should be tested for safety afterwards.
Well yeah, kinda but that's us back into the realms of DIY gas work, though this isn't really DIY gas work I don't think as it's nothing to do with the gas train per se

The thread was locked because it states no DIY gas work. Unless the rules have changed and the MODS are now considered removing the room sealed case as DIY gas work, unless of course my memory is completely and totally shot and that's already a rule ... which of course wouldn't surprise me in the least TBH :unsure: :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Unless the rules have changed and the MODS are now considered removing the room sealed case as DIY gas work
Although a layperson, from my background with RA's & SOP's for most tasks, my thoughts are - it is a room-sealed unit; if the cover is removed, then a competent person needs to check it is safe to operate the boiler, before it can be turned back on.

We can not guarantee that posters will get the system checked afterwards, with the possibility (although unlikely) of dire consequences.
I can see why a DIY forum would want to discourage these posts - especially given the recent events in Jersey and the death of George Hinds etc.

....However, in this case, the cover is already removed and we know the poster is going to try and fix it and use the boiler.
Wouldn't it be better to help them fix the leak and advise that they really need an RGI to check over the system after they have put it back together?

Locking the thread absolves the forum from blame should any future visitors follow the advice we give and get it wrong. But the poster here may have been left in the dark.

There seems to be a fine line to tread...

I think it might be useful to clarify what can and can't be done under the regulations.

I don't know what the combustion circuit actually is, and I have no idea if it is against the forum rules to even ask this.

It is not related to my own boiler, which is a FS 1990 Baxi 801.

As an example, I was watching a video the other week of an Ideal Vogue being serviced, because I was interested in seeing what a full service on a modern boiler involved. As part of the service the engineer took off the white front cover. It seemed to be a large piece of plastic or metal, attached by two screws at the bottom. It didn't seem to be particularly tightly sealed, but that was only my impression . Is this sort of cover we are talking about when we discuss the combustion circuit? Is it actually an air tight seal?

I think it might be useful to clarify what can and can't be done under the regulations.

I don't know what the combustion circuit actually is, and I have no idea if it is against the forum rules to even ask this.

It is not related to my own boiler, which is a FS 1990 Baxi 801.

As an example, I was watching a video the other week of an Ideal Vogue being serviced, because I was interested in seeing what a full service on a modern boiler involved. As part of the service the engineer took off the white front cover. It seemed to be a large piece of plastic or metal, attached by two screws at the bottom. It didn't seem to be particularly tightly sealed, but that was only my impression . Is this sort of cover we are talking about when we discuss the combustion circuit? Is it actually an air tight seal?
I have made reference to this in the past. There are rules on the forum, it I get the impression people don’t tend to read them much, it’s against forum rules to hijack posts, but people still do it.

Is this sort of cover we are talking about when we discuss the combustion circuit? Is it actually an air tight seal?

I might get a roasting for posting this. My defence is that many years ago a gas engineer pointed this out to me.

sealed plenum.jpg

I recall a mention on this forum where a "competent" gas engineer (?) declared a boiler as being dangerous because the metal badge on the front of the casing had fallen of leaving one or maybe two small holes in the metal. He seemed oblivious of the fact that was possible without removing any part of the casing to reach a hand up into the casing as far as the hole(s) that was making the boiler too dangerous to be used.

By all means discourage DIY gas work but explain accurately why incompetent work on gas appliances can create hazards the owner is unaware of,

Just closing the thread may make the person think " What a bunch of unhelpful bar****ds " and then do the work themselves.

Make the person fully aware of these hazards when closing the thread and this may make them less likely to attempt a DIY repair.

I have made reference to this in the past. There are rules on the forum, it I get the impression people don’t tend to read them much, it’s against forum rules to hijack posts, but people still do it.

Thanks. That is clear now.

I asked mainly because yesterday a poster included a photo of the internal wiring on their Ideal Vogue. It seems clear now, that in order to do that, the combustion seal was broken. But that thread wasn't locked, and no comment was made saying it shouldn't have been done, so I'm guessing the poster is oblivious.

1672508010232.png

Jersey explosion
It hasnt been confirmed that it was a gas explosion

I might get a roasting for posting this. My defence is that many years ago a gas engineer pointed this out to me.

View attachment 290650

I recall a mention on this forum where a "competent" gas engineer (?) declared a boiler as being dangerous because the metal badge on the front of the casing had fallen of leaving one or maybe two small holes in the metal. He seemed oblivious of the fact that was possible without removing any part of the casing to reach a hand up into the casing as far as the hole(s) that was making the boiler too dangerous to be used.

By all means discourage DIY gas work but explain accurately why incompetent work on gas appliances can create hazards the owner is unaware of,

Just closing the thread may make the person think " What a bunch of unhelpful bar****ds " and then do the work themselves.

Make the person fully aware of these hazards when closing the thread and this may make them less likely to attempt a DIY repair.
That’s good Bernard, and probably demonstrates what I have just posted, but the “competent“ engineer you refer to would not be wrong if the holes were part of the combustion circuit, see attached. AR means at risk.

Attachments

• 0CE41EDF-FB01-4B37-8D00-0280D5AE0524.jpeg
    0CE41EDF-FB01-4B37-8D00-0280D5AE0524.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 89B21479-B565-48EF-8BE5-0F48F81178F0.jpeg
    89B21479-B565-48EF-8BE5-0F48F81178F0.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Thanks. That is clear now.

I asked mainly because yesterday a poster included a photo of the internal wiring on their Ideal Vogue. It seems clear now, that in order to do that, the combustion seal was broken. But that thread wasn't locked, and no comment was made saying it shouldn't have been done, so I'm guessing the poster is oblivious.

View attachment 290652
Maybe it depends on the mod, there’s more than one and one or two with gas safe knowledge.

Thanks, that diagram was extremely helpful in understanding the regulation. A picture paints a thousand words!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back