whats this stuff behind my plasterboard wall......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
moving on from my last topi - and a topic in the tiling section, i now know i have a few peices of plasterboard to change.

I removed the first peie next to the door - which is 2.4m tall, and 30cm wide.

i was expecting to find woodwork behind the plasterboard, both vertical and horiz.....However, to my suprise...

plas1.jpg

Its full of this stuff, which is pretty much held on by glue.

What is it, and what do i do ? put it back with the new sheet of plasterboard ? Or get some timber in there ??? Bear in mind i'm on a strict budget here.

Sponsored Links
That's called "paramount board", comes ready made up, from two sheets of plasterboard, with cardboard sandwiched in between the 2 sheets for strength. You'll need to get some timber studs put in there.

can't i just put the old stuff back in...It's been there for the past 40 years quite happily !!!!!

as for the other walls which i was going to change - i presume i would now be better of dab+dotting the new sheets on ???? Or failing that coarse drywall screws+ some kind of adhesive???

goodness, this site is going to become my best mate over the next month !!!

I don't know whether you could put the reinforcing cardboard back in or not. I would doubt it, but see what the other guys say. It will have been all glued together in a factory,,, no,, i would say you couldn't repair it.
You might be better leaving the other sheets on, as they're probably made of the same stuff. It would be better maybe sticking the new sheets onto the old if possible, because if you remove the paramount board, you will probably have to put in extra timber studding. Stick the plasterboard on using Pink Grip Drywall Adhesive or similar,, it comes in a tube. The only problem you might have with overboarding the wall/s is, that you might have to remove and refix/replace the skirtings/architraves etc.

Sponsored Links
i like the idea of not taking them off to begin with. Cheaper put new stuff ontop of old

i guess for that small 2.4x30cm section - a peice of timber down the middle would do....

the screws i orig bought for doing my roof were 5.5x38mm, fine single thread, phospated. I changed these for 5.5x32mm, as the 38mm were to long for the roof job.

How well do coarse threaded drywall screws grab into plasterboard ????? Well enough to use them to hold new onto old, along with some expanding adhesive foam ?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back