wheel barely spins, Droning noise, hot caliper , what is the problem here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly can't argue with that, but this usually occurs if either the oil level is too high or the engine is very worn.
All engines have a separator of some kind, all they do is to allow fumes out but keep the liquid oil back. I think the recommendation is just to allow crankcase fumes to vent into the atmosphere like the days gone by rather than having them burnt.
How relevant this is to your particular engine, I can't say.
John :)

Hi there
please do not be sarcastic or anyone else reading either.....

I noticed today the drive belt was hot as was the pulleys, tensioner, air con pulley e.t.c. and engine mount, it was all very hot and the belt looked as though it has overheated as had a tinge colour ot it that suggests it got too hot . I tried spinning the 4 pulleys and they all did spin fine. tensioner and drive belt replaced over 3,000 miles ago.

any ideas please ?

Sponsored Links
No way will I ever be sarcastic to anyone, RB so I guess that was aimed at someone else!
If all of your pulleys spin freely and everything is in line then the belt will be fine.....it is as hot as hell down there and the belt temperature reflects this. Bearing in mind it has a lot of power to cope with and it follows quite a tortuous route I'm surprised they last as well as they do.
Warning signs are cracking on the outside of the belt and on the inner vees - and they all discolour after a while.
Regards

No way will I ever be sarcastic to anyone, RB so I guess that was aimed at someone else!
If all of your pulleys spin freely and everything is in line then the belt will be fine.....it is as hot as hell down there and the belt temperature reflects this. Bearing in mind it has a lot of power to cope with and it follows quite a tortuous route I'm surprised they last as well as they do.
Warning signs are cracking on the outside of the belt and on the inner vees - and they all discolour after a while.
Regards

Hey John. Thanks for answering the thread question and not being sarcastic and ridiculing as some people here often do, to which I now ignore those people

I mean the belt feels warm and the pullets are way too hot too touch I would burn my hands if I touch them for too long, the tensioner pulley, air con pulley, alternator pulley are all very hot and I just was not sure if this is normal or no ?

Thw belt had what I would consider heat glaze appearence to it as though it got too hot ?

Could it be the tensioner pulley is in too tight or too lose via the bolt that fastens it in ? I only used a small allen key type tool to tighten it in with but it seemed it was in tight enough ?

thanks

Seriously I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.....belts are often glossy after a few miles and this is normal.
When you consider that your engine runs on close to 100 degrees C at the top end, and the oil temperature the same or even higher at the bottom, its not surprising that things get on the warm side!
Believe me, if things were out of order the belt would start to smoke and stink - then its time for action!
Regards

Sponsored Links
Seriously I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.....belts are often glossy after a few miles and this is normal.
When you consider that your engine runs on close to 100 degrees C at the top end, and the oil temperature the same or even higher at the bottom, its not surprising that things get on the warm side!
Believe me, if things were out of order the belt would start to smoke and stink - then its time for action!
Regards

thanks John.

I don't think I noticed any burning smell from the drive belt or drive belt area. To be honest with you I swapped out the drivebelt 2 days ago as altohguh the previous belt was only 3000 miles, it had a slight score on it from when I replaced the belt a few weeks ago and I later found out the tensioner was bad it had grooved the belt. 2 days ago I put another belt on.

Is it normal for yhe alternator pulley to be red hot ? I never noticed the drive belt pulleys get this hot before ? hot enough that if I hold onto them for a few seconds they burn my hand. I really haven;t noticed them produce this heat previously ? and with the belt looking heat glazed it has made me wonder about it.

Also I was wondering if the tensioner pulley wasn't fastened in tight enough or too loose if it may cause this issue ?

thanks

Certainly the tensioner pulley is perfectly OK here, so let's forget about that one.
The alternator takes a lot of force to drive when it is delivering maximum current and you can therefore expect it to be very hot. It does have an internal cooling fan which takes care of the heat within the unit.
I must say I've never really held my hand on the thing long enough to get a burn but the other pulleys can be too hot to touch. So long as your battery isn't going flat I don't suspect any problems there.

Certainly the tensioner pulley is perfectly OK here, so let's forget about that one.
The alternator takes a lot of force to drive when it is delivering maximum current and you can therefore expect it to be very hot. It does have an internal cooling fan which takes care of the heat within the unit.
I must say I've never really held my hand on the thing long enough to get a burn but the other pulleys can be too hot to touch. So long as your battery isn't going flat I don't suspect any problems there.

Thank You very much I appreciete all your help and support tonight.

I just have never known it to get so hot in that area before but I will keep a check on things time-time.

Tomorrow I am going to buy the oil and filter and the oil extractor tool ( I will drain it by the sump bolt in the future as not sure if anything is cross threaded there )
I was wondering do you know if Euro car parts are now re open to the public ? (other small shops now open to public again ) I want to go and purchase the oil from there.

cheers

Is this thread still going?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

OMG How many pages will it go on for?

Andy

Thank You very much I appreciete all your help and support tonight.

I just have never known it to get so hot in that area before but I will keep a check on things time-time.

Tomorrow I am going to buy the oil and filter and the oil extractor tool ( I will drain it by the sump bolt in the future as not sure if anything is cross threaded there )
I was wondering do you know if Euro car parts are now re open to the public ? (other small shops now open to public again ) I want to go and purchase the oil from there.

cheers
Eurocarparts are currently operating a click and collect service so you’ll get what you need.
My own motor factors are open too, but its like entering number four reactor at Chernobyl :eek:

Is this thread still going?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

OMG How many pages will it go on for?

Andy

I was going to completely ignore you as you are the type that like to mock and ridicule but I need to put you straight.

I am sure you would be more annoyed if I created many different threads over various topics, I decided instead of clogging up the forums with threads I decoded it would probably be better to just add it onto this one.

What we are talking about now is NOT the ongoing issue in the thread title.

finally, if you don't like it why do you come back here every single time that you see I have written something, you only come here to bring negativity and complain about it , why not just stay away ??

Last edited:
ferr
Eurocarparts are currently operating a click and collect service so you’ll get what you need.
My own motor factors are open too, but its like entering number four reactor at Chernobyl :eek:

Hi John
that's great, so I can place my order tonight, then go collect it tomorrow from the store ?

I am still waiting on a refund on a drive belt tensioner from March as the other one came from Ebay, However it has been mpossible t get through to euro car parts, they have never answered me on live chat despite me waiting over 4 hours a time I never get through ,nor willo they answer the phone or respond to my emails !! really poor customer service that I will be duscussing with them when they finally get back to normal.

Usually when you order your bits and pieces you get a text telling you when they are ready for picking up, and not to go to the store before then.....saves hanging around etc.
Everything is up in the air just now and there’s not much we can do about it.....I’ve been waiting for Ryobi parts to come from the States for a month now, and the customer is getting a bit restless - but that’s just the way it is just at the moment.

Usually when you order your bits and pieces you get a text telling you when they are ready for picking up, and not to go to the store before then.....saves hanging around etc.
Everything is up in the air just now and there’s not much we can do about it.....I’ve been waiting for Ryobi parts to come from the States for a month now, and the customer is getting a bit restless - but that’s just the way it is just at the moment.

Hi
It just says clic and collect for tomorrow, it does not specify a time so I will just go there tomorrow. I need t oget hold of an oil extractor tool to drain oil via the dipstick for now until I take the risk of draining it from the sump again.
do you know anywhere I coulod get one tomorrow ?

I want to get it done tomorrow ideally so I don't really want to order from ebay, unless they aren't too far and I can collect.

Also I want to order the rounded off bolt extractor tools and you told me there were 2 types and sai one was better thanthe other, do you remember what that one was ?

thanks

For oil extractors I guess you are at the mercy of ECP or maybe Sealey - however, don’t forget Machine Mart, if there is a branch near you. At least they have most of their catalogue in stock!
They also stock Irwin bolt removal tools, which our valued poster Munroist used with success recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back