When are stairs new stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again all

My stairs have a wall one side and nothing on the other - no balustrade, not even a bottom newel post, just the side of the closed string. (There used to be a wall there but it was taken out by a previous resident).

If I do any work at all on them, does it have to meet the regs for new stairs? I'm thinking of just putting up a handrail on the wall side & I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be allowed as the only measure in a new build.

Sponsored Links
Well the building control police aren't gonna do a raid so there's not really much they can do about it, on the other hand if you've got kids it would be wise to have a handrail/ballustrades but they're your kids! :D . If you ever slip on a flight of stairs you'd normally make a grab for the handrail, I know I have. When you come to sell it may put off somone although it didn't put you off obviously. Your call really. If you're fitting a new handrail then you may as well make it compliant. In an ideal world you'd have a handrail and ballustrade on the open side and a rail on the wall although to comply you don't need the one on the wall side.

Yes it's if I have to sell the house that I'm thinking of. It was a seller's market when I bought the place, but things are a little bit different now and I reckon that the extreme open plan look would put people off.

Thanks,

I had the same problem with my house I could not sell it without a balustrade. I contacted a a company called SMUK Solutions I gave them detailed dimensions and it was all supplied in Kit form ready for installation they even supplied the glass.

It looks great but I still can't sell my house.

www.smuksolutions.com dont ask my why there called SMUK

Sponsored Links
You can fit a new balustrade but it takes a lot of skill to cut a new newel base over the string (side of the stairs) probably best get a joiner in or try talking to some of the balustarde manufacturers who will advise what you can do. The parts can be very cheap i.e. Pine rails and spindles or very expensive Oak.
Try www.cheshiremouldings.co.uk or www.joinerystore.com there are loads if you do a google search.

Absolutely bretta, the Richard Burbidge installation guide casually says to cut a slot in the newel base for the end of the string.

Easier said than done with an exact 43 degree angle to match. I thought that if I can't cut an exact slot, I can make the join more rigid by adding dowelling.

Dowels and plenty of grip fill :oops: will strengthen the joint if its not perfect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back