When did I buy my car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get some insurance quotes, and the website is asking when I bought my car. I can't remember and I can't find receipt. Where can I find the date? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depending on how long you have owned it you could check bank statements to see when you paid for it.

You could just go online and check the DVLA website.

Stick the registration in and scroll down. It gives the date the last registration document was issued.

Sponsored Links
That's useful, how? People change their addresses.

Yes, it would tell you the wrong date if you moved house, or indeed, if you had modified the car to the extent that you had to inform DVLA and they'd issued another V5C. However, assuming you can remember whether or not you've moved house, then the date the last V5C was issued, will be when you bought the car!

It tells me Nov 2018. I've had the car longer than that, I've not changed address and, I can't think why it isn't showing the correct date.
Edit; I bought the car in Oct 2016, a document was issued in Nov 2018, but I can't think why.

Last edited:
New V5.

We had a new V5 issued as the DVLA scrapped all the old style ones. Something to do with theft or counterfeiting.

New V5.

We had a new V5 issued as the DVLA scrapped all the old style ones. Something to do with theft or counterfeiting.
I seem to remember a batch of the old style blue ones were stolen years ago and they changed to the new style then.

Sponsored Links
Back