When did PD rules come in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When did PD rules come into force to give house holders the legal right to do certain things to their house?

I've told my sister that the reason why an extension for a house they are looking to buy, is not showing on the council web site could well be because it was under PD rather planning...unless of course it was built illegally.

Sponsored Links
Permitted development came in long before 1995.
In fact, I'm pretty sure it was introduced for householders either with - or soon after - the 1947 T&CP Act.
Initially, it was base on volume of development, and the volume limits were raised at least twice before the major re-vamp in 2008.
Interesting topic - maybe someone else could shed some light?

Sponsored Links
Well, there's The Town and Country Planning General Development Order of 1948. I haven't read it but it sounds like a contender - actually I thought it was mentioned on the Wikipedia page but I can't see it there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back