When do you replace an old boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No smart-alec responses please........I know I'm asking for trouble! :rolleyes:

I've got an old Stelrad wall mounted unit in the flat and when I got the BG guy in to see if I can go on their service contract he said the boiler was too old for them to look after. He mentioned something about not being able to get parts as He thought that it was about 20-25 years old! But it functions really well and I've not had any trouble over the last 18 months.

So I was wondering if the boiler's working o.k. and not being too inefficient, does it need to be replaced after a certain number of years.

Can it still be serviced?

I realise that if it breaks down then it might not be repairable. But is it better to plan to replace it in the summer or should I wait till it starts to play up.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Suggest that you look around to see if you can get parts for it. Look on the web pages for parts suppliers. If you can, then you should be able to get it repaired by a local established heating engineer.
But otherwise I would replace it in the summer when its always dry and hot in this country ! (oops, smart alec reply :rolleyes: )

Obviously it makes sense for BG not to take on the insurance risk on a boiler they can't easily repair. And also, dare I say it, flog you a new system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back