When does a conservatory become an extension? (and do I need building regs)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve got a conservatory that was built when the house was new 25 years ago. I want to replace it with a more permanent structure, bricking up 3 of the 7 sides, increasing the height of the dwarf wall from knee to waist height and adding a timber framed tiled roof with a vaulted ceiling.

We will retain the existing external door between the new room and house. Its about 10m2 floor area (considering its 5 facet frontage). Its on a bit of a slope and has a substantial footing that appears to be tied into and built at the same time as the rest of the house, so I'm confident that the foundation is ok.

It fits within permitted development.

Does this need building control involvement and sign off? If so, which elements of the structure will they be interested in?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In building regulations there is a porch, or an extension. A porch is built against an existing entrance door and the door must be retained and any heating in the porch must not be connected to the main house heating. Do either of those things and it becomes an extension requiring full building regulations.

In building regulations there is a porch, or an extension. A porch is built against an existing entrance door and the door must be retained and any heating in the porch must not be connected to the main house heating. Do either of those things and it becomes an extension requiring full building regulations.

Thanks Jeds.

So if I dont connect the heating and I keep the door, I can call it a porch even if its blatantly not a porch? Would I then need to notify BC or can I just crack on?

On the flip side, if I call out BC what would they classify it as it? If I called it an extension would they agree and hold me to all the regs for insulation etc?

If you're building something that presumably is to replace a cold/boiling useless conservatory then you're presumably building it to a decent spec, or you'll just end up with the same issues. So why not just build it as an extension and get rid of the door?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jeds.

So if I dont connect the heating and I keep the door, I can call it a porch even if its blatantly not a porch? Would I then need to notify BC or can I just crack on?

On the flip side, if I call out BC what would they classify it as it? If I called it an extension would they agree and hold me to all the regs for insulation etc?
The criteria defining a conservatory was dropped a few years ago. The 75% glass on roof and 50% walls was replaced with “substantially glazed”

Im not sure whether building control have ever sorted out this anomaly with ”solid roof conservatories”.

When I was building orangeries, I sent the LA a drawing saying: ”orangery will be substantially glazed and thermally separate from the property, please can you confirm if you consider this to be an exempt structure”

usually they just said yes.

Thanks for replies.

If you're building something that presumably is to replace a cold/boiling useless conservatory then you're presumably building it to a decent spec, or you'll just end up with the same issues. So why not just build it as an extension and get rid of the door?

Its a bit of an aside but we want to keep the door, its a glass sliding door that lets a lot of light through and provides good soundproofing to the rest of the house.

We will build to a good spec but will struggle to get to the U values for the walls that only have a 50mm cavity, and I'd like to avoid having to start them all over again. (Is 25mm celoxtex my best bet to insulate a 50mm cavity?)

It will still be substantially glazed - solid roof, but will have 3 large windows, 1 small window and a glazed door.

Crack on. Porches are exempt, subject to the door, heating and maximum 30m² floor area, which you appear to comply with. The only reg that remains is glazing. You must comply with glazing regs whatever the situation.

Thanks again for the replies. It seems like I can call it a conservatory or a porch with a fairly clear conscious.

Conservatory - https://labcfrontdoor.co.uk/project...g-regulations-application-for-my-conservatory

A conservatory generally has to be constructed with mainly translucent walls and roofs - generally and mainly are interesting phrases, the build will have 7 walls (stupid shaped thing), and 5 of them will retain some glazing.

Porch - https://www.labc.co.uk/homeowners/do-i-need-building-regulations-application-specific-projects/porch

Although it mentions that the existing entrance front door must stay in place (doesnt mention back doors).

We are in the process of changing our glass conservatory roof with a lightweight solid roof. We (via our builder) submitted plans to building control and received approval to proceed. The BCO came around to inspect the works on the second day of a 4 day build and was happy with the construction at that stage so all good. The build is now pretty much complete, plasterers finished yesterday.

May be worth you asking planning first? we get charged around £25 for pre planning queries / advice, we were recently told by planners conservatories are classed as extensions be it brick or glass. But if you are replacing the existing building and planning on building higher walls they will probably want to see how the foundations were laid in the first instance.. you would also need to make sure the floor is done to current regs if i'm not mistaken.

Indeed, because it's not binding, pre planning advice may not be worth the pixels it's written on so you might as well just skip straight to the "get planning" part

Indeed, because it's not binding, pre planning advice may not be worth the pixels it's written on so you might as well just skip straight to the "get planning" part
I've not really read the thread but agreed, you also only get out of pre-planning advice what you put in, so if you want any meaningful advice you pretty much have to submit a whole set of planing docs. If you submit a fag packet sketch then you'll get very little meaningful feedback. It also gives them the upper hand if they give you negative feedback and then you subsequently submit a planning application contrary to their pre-planning advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back