When I were young .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a nerve wrenching shopping trip yesterday, the wife and I had dinner and then sat back with a coffee, some nice sweet stuff and a glass of Metaxa. The wife went to bed and me and the bottle of Metaxa became good friends. This morning I woke up not feeling too bad but by lunch time I thought death could be an alternative. When I was younger I would have drunk the bottle of Metaxa and half a dozen pints, partied to the early hours and then gone to work. Not any more. What happened ??

Sponsored Links
Thanks Conny. :LOL: I also think these days my ambitions far outweigh my capabilities.

your kidney and liver have become less effective with age (plus the damage you inflicted on them earlier) so that they take longer to deal with the toxins you tip down your neck.

Sponsored Links
I sometimes fall into the "back to the 60's" and have found "re-hydrating " helps.Try and bang in 1/2 litre of water before going to bed,another 1/2 when you get up for a slash at about 0430.Then do a carton of orange juice before brekky......

On the other hand, maybe the quality of Metaxa has declined over the years.

I find when I drink the organic brews, that I feel better the morning after, than if I drink the non organic stuff. Plus the organic stuff usually has a bigger kick to it.
But I don't know if the fact you feel worse now than you did, when you was younger, after a skin ful,l is anything to do with age.
I feel that a lot of the drinks now are full of chemicals to make it keep longer.
I can drink a load more now, than I could when I was a wee one. I guess that don't help.
But I have not had a drink since New Years Day/night/early hours.
So I don't know what it feels like anymore.

I can drink a load more now, than I could when I was a wee one.

I think a lot of people don't realise that point and are drinking a lot more than they did when they jumped out of bed at 6am and went to work.

When I was 18 I would feel pretty sloshed after 4 pints.

Now, at 29, I can drink 4 pints and I still feel completely sober.

I have noticed that as alcohol tolerance increases, people tend to drink stronger drinks... most of my friends have 2 pints then switch to scotch. If I am drinking at someone's house or a restaurant I usually have wine. Whether that is a cause or consequence, I don't know!

Some people assure me that the ONLY reason they drink is because they like the taste... I think that's absolute knackers, because I like the taste of coffee but have never drunk 12 pints of it in a single sitting.

People drink because it makes you drunk, and being drunk is fun. Usually. :confused:

When I was nowt but a lad, I was happy to be drunk after about 6-8 pints and maybe a wee dram, spinning rooms and some hugging of the toilet and the evening was complete. I'd up in the morning for work, no problems, quick recovery after a pint of milk and sausage sarnie with brown sauce.
Now I can drink twice that, no spinning rooms, no toilet hugging, not really even drunk (well not the same as in my youth) but in the morning I feel like carp and for about three days.

People drink because it makes you drunk, and being drunk is fun. Usually. :confused:
That's true of me and most, but some don't, i'll stray from comments on that.

I normally just stick to beer and the German beer is a great drop. Brewing here is strictly controlled. No chemicals. I think that they happily work on the theory that if you drink it sooner rather than later you don't need to preserve it :LOL:.

Well, I'm the wrong side of 50 now and I'm sure I could drink much more than I seem to be able to now. In my late teens I used to drink about 7 or 8 pints on a good night. Nowadays, I tend to start feeling the effects after the third pint. Two more and I'm ready to go home.

Sponsored Links
Back