when is a spur a spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 1G 13A socket (1) is spurred vertically to another 1G 13A socket (2).

If I replace the first 1G 13A socket with a connector (chocblock + blank plate or alternatively a flex outlet plate) would I legally and safely be allowed to spur from the second socket?

Reasons for these actions..first socket will be hidden and want to reduce amount of wall damage/plastering.

Sponsored Links
No. It is still a spur, in that it is not part of the ring final circuit setup.

The 2.5mm cable for your spur can only have 26 amps on it. This happens to be two 13 amp sockets, but you must only ever put one single or one double on it.

What you can do, however, is replace the first socket with a fused connection unit, with a 13 amp fuse. Then you can have as many sockets on the spur as you like. Go crazy!

I don't quite get what you're saying.

Is this what you mean?

sockets1.jpg

Thanks so far guys

diagram more like

utilitysocket_diagram1.jpg

socket 1 which is not a spur will be covered by screwed in cabinet in utility room, and it is this socket I wanted to convert to junction. I wanted to spur off socket 2 to the dotted one on the right but looking at my own pic, socket 2 is in fact a spur no matter what??

might in future want the dotted socket to be an FCU for an extractor if room gets damp (but not a wet room yet).

Any additions welcome

Sponsored Links
This cabinet - if you cut a hole in the back of it, and convert the socket to an FCU, with a 13 amp fuse, you can do as you like with the sockets on its load side. :)

Replace socket 1 with an FCU. You can then add as many sockets as you like such as the dotted one in your diagram

<edit> Bah! too slow

And here's one in use in my bedroom:

This was once a single socket on a spur from the other side of the room, but it fell behind my bed when i rearranged the room, so I swapped it for an FCU feeding a socket either side of the bed. Its only used for a lamp and a couple of phone chargers. (I didnt do the paint job by the way)

DSC00738.jpg

thanks very much for all that. Pictures help all round

two last things:

a) I can cut access in cabinet frame to FCU where socket 1 would be BUT there may be a drawer here rather than a cupboard door (battle with missus over this currently).

There would theoretically still be access to the FCU (if you removed drawer) but I dont want to start breaking any regulations. Would I be??

b) with a 13A FCU at socket 1, just reassure me that it would be possible to put an FCU for an extractor at the dotted socket in future if needed (if room becomes wet room (I would prob get an electrician in for this due to regs).

a) Yes, its easily accessible without tools.

b) yes, you can wire anything to the load side of an FCU (within reason :LOL: )

ricicle said:
Did you get the local nursery school to come and do that painting for you Crafty......... :LOL:
Do you mean my friends from the nursery, then no. :LOL:

Honestly guys this joke is wearing thin.

My parents did the painting, and it was done in a hurry, the whole room in one day, because they were fed up of me sleeping in the conservatory (and so was I, I had to because of the plastering and carpet being laid etc, made the room unliveable)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back