When is rosemary not edible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a rosemary from Sainsbury's [you know, that place that mainly sells food] and on getting it home I am bit puzzled to see that it is "Harmful if eaten":
1683717298371.png

The RHS, who IMO are pretty much the authority on plants in the UK, says nothing about this.
I am confident that a significant majority of people are buying rosemary for culinary use, as nice as the flowers are. So if they really have managed to find a poisonous variety to sell then I would expect a more prominent warning than this.
I am not really sure what variety it is as there is no latin name or here or plant passport.
What is going on? Is this just a mistake?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it has been sprayed with insecticide

Bought a rosemary from Sainsbury's [you know, that place that mainly sells food] and on getting it home I am bit puzzled to see that it is "Harmful if eaten":
View attachment 303143

The RHS, who IMO are pretty much the authority on plants in the UK, says nothing about this.
I am confident that a significant majority of people are buying rosemary for culinary use, as nice as the flowers are. So if they really have managed to find a poisonous variety to sell then I would expect a more prominent warning than this.
I am not really sure what variety it is as there is no latin name or here or plant passport.
What is going on? Is this just a mistake?
I cut back a rosemary bush that'd gone 'woody' last week and now have more than i can use in a year. JohnD may be right about insecticide. Just wash the leaves before you use them and i'm sure they'll be fine. There's nothing quite like the aroma of fresh rosemary, and you can use the sweet stem to chew or split them for a quick tooth clean. Very versatile is our Rosie:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back