When is this going to stop?

Did you 'knock up' mrs mottie?
Grew up with parents who had dogs...…
………and one of whom voted for Brexit. I'm getting a picture of where your bitterness and hatred towards them comes from. You obviously feel you came a poor second in their lives. Were you planned or a result of a 'knock up'?

Sponsored Links
So you don't class a 'defenceless baby' as a person then?
No

You just don’t leave a small dog with a baby

Ban all but working/caring dogs
That’s not a solution, it’s just an idiotic comment from somebody that doesn’t own a dog is is utterly clueless.

Grew up with parents who had dogs...

Never to be trusted, and we chose to put our kids above pack animals...

We preferred to think of our kids as the 'wonderful additions' to our family...

Luckily we aren't as stupid as you!

So what you are saying is you were such a bad parent you weren’t respossible enough to own a family pet.

Mind you, somebody that spreads anti vaxxer lies is not a responsible member of society, thank goodness you didn’t have a pet

………and one of whom voted for Brexit.
I didn’t know that

Oh dear, I understand now why the poor chap is so unhappy: his dad voted for Brexit and his sons support the vaccine

Sponsored Links
You cannot ever say the same for something with a mind of its own.
Such as a dog.

It is the presence of drivers that makes some not so.

You cannot ever say the same for something with a mind of its own.
Such as a dog.
You are conflating 2 different things there.

If you want to make that argument, it should be car driver compared to dog owner.

It doesn’t matter if the dog has a mind of its own, a responsible dog owner mitigates that by sensible ownership.

Your argument of “dogs aren’t guaranteed to be safe” is based in purely binary terms, it’s the same argument anti vaxxers use when they say “the vaccine cannot stop transmission”

The risk of death or injury from a small breed dog which has been bred for good temperament and well trained by its owners, is incredibly small. That is the real argument: nuanced with context.

'Fraid so. He has admitted to actually hating him for it. His own Dad!
Good grief, being so bitter and angry ruins peoples lives.

He probably needs a lovely dog companion to cheer him up, although I’m not sure I’d want to inflict that on a dog

You are conflating 2 different things there.

No, I'm not.
Secure asked Ellal why haven't we banned vehicles yet then?"
Secure was making a false equivalence between an (inanimate) vehicle, and a sentient creature (dog).
I was making the point that a vehicle, per se, is safe.
And that I wholly disagreed with his position (in that we effectively mitigate the risks from vehicles through licencing, insurance, et al, so the same would apply for a dog..)

If you want to make that argument, it should be car driver compared to dog owner.

IF.
I never did.
I didn't.
If I wanted to, I would have done.

It doesn’t matter if the dog has a mind of its own, a responsible dog owner mitigates that by sensible ownership.

I know that, and do not disagree, up to a point.
All things can "have a bad day".
Unless you watch and control a dog 24/7, it will have the opportunity to do as it pleases, every now and again.
But that is a diversion of yours; I never said anything about banning all dogs, or even about licensing their owners.
I refer you again to my OP.

Your argument of “dogs aren’t guaranteed to be safe” is based in purely binary terms, it’s the same argument anti vaxxers use when they say “the vaccine cannot stop transmission”

No; it is factually correct (the dog bit).
But, you are doing a Karen, and getting all hyperbolic - probably because you love your dog so much - that you're throwing up strawmen.
I never did anything beyond offering the opinion that a dog that is so powerful that it cannot be repelled by a reasonably-able adult has no place in our country,

The risk of death or injury from a small breed dog which has been bred for good temperament and well trained by its owners, is incredibly small. That is the real argument: nuanced with context.

Read my OP.

Banning of dogs? That's someone else's opinion; not mine.

If you are going to argue with me about things I didn't say, I'll point it out to you.

Read my OP.

"Banning of dogs? That's someone else's opinion; not mine."

You're quite correct; all dogs.
Clear enough?

(Although my first post was absolutely clear, or so I thought. IIRC, it was Ellal who posed the outright ban - excepting guide and working dogs - then Secure went off on a vehicle, chip-and-lead diatribe).

And it was Notch who introduced the "small breed dog" position (#215), to which I was replying.

A small dog can kill a child just as easily as a large dog can kill an adult - which dog shall we ban to protect any given age group?

Is banning dogs (other than some named breeds) ever going to be likely.

Dangerous dogs, usually but not always due to their owners, can be any breed.

So if banning isn't likely, better licencing and controls might take more dangerous dogs out of circulation.

There isn't a 1 answer to the issue. But some steps would help

My OP.
Which was precipitated by this vvvvvvvvvvvv

A full-grown adult male, in his early fifties was killed in broad daylight.
And no-one could do anything to stop it.

In my opinion, dogs that are effectively immune to anything a passer-by can do to deter them should not be in this country.

Rather than rely on "don't be silly; there won't be a [XL Bully] in every house", nip it in the bud.
Which is what has happened, thankfully.

I have no doubt that the scratters and wannabee gangstars will either ignore the new legislation, or move on to something bred from Christ-knows-what, but to just sit back and hope such ownership doesn't become normalised is not a good approach.

Read my OP.
I did.

If dogs are so big and strong that they cannot reasonably be fought off by an adult, they have no place in this country, in my honest opinion.

The way you put it suggests to me you're either in favour of an outright ban or sending them to a remote island somewhere: Elba, perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Back