When there's not enough space for your drill.....

You've got it .Slowly and with as little loading endwise as possible. flexi- drive should be as short and thick as possible (something like those sectioned appearing types found for some screwdriver kits) , with the drill held firmly --clamped if possible- and the bend of the flexi drive supported with the other hand if possible. Best results are with a right angled drive drill made for "SIDEWAYS" drilling and cutting. Get the best you can afford. Great for drilling etc. between flooring joists and the like. The main problem with the adaptor type of right angled drive is the plastic casing and or the strange alloy used for the gears (mazak perhaps/). The plastic gets hot and softens allowing the gears to slip out of alignment or the gears strip under load if the machine is still cool. look for a metal cased one with proper ball or roller bearings. american tool stores seem to have better ones than we can obtain here as a general rule. Prices are good but postage /packaging is horrendous.
stilll might be worth a look though. Especially if you know someone is travelling to the U.S. Second thoughts Germany or Belgium or even Switzerland & Spain could be a good hunting ground if you have the time to look or someone that you trust. If you are successful in finding one keep it well lubricated. This applies to all of them but do not use copper or other metal included grease. It wears away rotating and to a lesser extent sliding equipment. P.D.Q. That's fast to you. The metal particles act as an abrasive .That is why cluch fitting instructions forbid it's use in case it gets onto the bearing surface or even into the actual bearing. It's best use is as an anti -corrosive lubricant for nuts bolts studs etc. I know I have waffled on a bit but but it would be a shame to buy a good piece of kit and then destroy it with yhe wrong lubricant. A good grease like Castrol L.M. is best . hope this helps a few bods. Cheers J.M. ( onetenor)

Sponsored Links
The angle drive which is frequently on offer in Lidl at 4.99 has served me well so far. 20+ 15mm holes through 100mm timber and no sign of it wearing out.

Good for you it just shows what can be achieved with lower priced tools. i too have had good use from Lidl and Aldi tools. As long as you do not expect too much from them and don't overload them and just take things steady, Good luck .J.M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back