When to Prep and Paint New Skim Walls and Celling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had my bathroom walls and celling skimmed a week ago and the odd bits of plaster repaird as well. My next question how long do I leave it before I can paint and what prep work do I need to do before painting it. I have been leaving the window open to get air into the room.

Also can I still use the bath while the plaster is un painted

Chris

Sponsored Links
I would recommend leaving it 2 weeks. For prep sand away any shine that may be there (i use 240 grade sandpaper) then use watered down Matt emulsion for the first coat about 30% water, once this is done you are ready to paint. If you fill anything before painting then give that a coat of the watered down emulsion. Just use white paint for the mist coat as its cheaper than the colour.

Hi

Someone people keep telling me not to sand and to misscoat then fill and sand the areas and other have said sand then misscoat

Which is better and the correct way

Chris

Sponsored Links
Only sand bare plaster if there is shiny spots to allow the plaster to absorb the mist coat. If there is no shine then just mist coat it.

You can fill the walls at any point, I recommend doing it after the mist coat as it highlights any imperfections.

Matt emulsion would be fine in a bathroom but if you do decide to go for any other finish just remember you have to do a mist coat using Matt emulsion.

Many Thanks

The walls do seem a little shiney but that could just be me or the room is small and ha a large window.

What grade paper is best to use if I do want to remove the shine
Chris

You only need a fine paper, I use 240 grade. Will also add you don't need to go mad with it, just a light go over will do.

Many Thanks

So just a lite touch to the wall with the paper all over if its shiney. How do I get it dusk free before I apply miss coat or can I just apply it direct after sanding with dust around

Chris

Do I need to misscoat before I tile around the bath or not. Some people tell me to misscoat still where the tiles are going and others said do not misscoat and tile first then misscoat and paint after.

Chris

You can mist coat first, just don't mist coat where you plan to tile. Use a tilers primer where you plan to tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back