When to start cutting the grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this may sound like a daft question but i have never had a lawn before. When is the best time to start cutting it ? or can i start now ?
i live in Yorkshire

Thanks
Coggy

Sponsored Links
Depends if you want a lawn, or like me, want to get rid of it !!
If the grass is dry enough in a couple of weeks, set your mower on its highest cut and start at that point. As it warms up you can slowly drop the blades to a nice 1/2" swathe, sprinkle lawn sand (if you have moss) and growmore to feed it. Aerate it with a fork (poke holes in it), rake it with a lawn rake every other month and cut twice a week when it really starts growing and watch your neighbours go green with envy

I mowed my lawn a couple of weeks ago, as long as its mild weather and dry its ok. I think I mowed it in November for the last time last year!! Its pretty difficult to kill a lawn!!

Sponsored Links
A sheep seems a much better option than a dog but can they fetch a ball!!??
If the dog killed it with wee you are supposed to water the area copiously to stop the scorching, so it sounds like you will be following it round with a watering can! A better idea though is to tie the hose pipe to the dogs tail :LOL:

I live in Yorkshire too, most difficult bit is finding a dry day to do it! managed to last sunday, start high, and gradually reduce the height to about 1/2 inch.
Any time around now is fine.
Dafodils seems to come up a lot later up here than when i lived down in London!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back