Where can I buy a double length double switch?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the controls of my double switch has failed
I can't find ANYWHERE where they have a double length double switch

Everywhere they have a double switch on a single switch

Where can I buy?
I've tried eBay, Amazon - then tried searching on google
Nothing!

Is my only choice to buy a gang of 3 or a gang of 4 switches?

See below for an image that I have:

G5cGoJml.jpg

EDIT: I've opened up and one of the switches has blown - there is no fuse that I can simply replace

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
That faceplate could be rewired with new dimmer modules. That's your best bet if you're having trouble matching it.

They look like dimmer units, You can get new modules from most electrical dealers.

Sponsored Links
guys, thanks for the replies
i didn't realise i could get a replacement module
should i take it off and take to my local electric shop?

@333rocky333: thanks... i did a search of that phrase and now i'm find a few sellers (quite expensive price though)

question: if i want to replace the dimmer switches with a single switch... can i somehow disable the dimming ability?
the reason for this is that i want to use energy saving bulbs that don't like dimming

thanks!

@333rocky333... that's awesome
thanks mate!

another question...
i was actually thinking how best to replace the faulty module
would it be best to replace the faulty one... or get 2 new modules?
thanks

Install some more lights so you need a 3- or 4-gang switch.

:LOL:
i'd love to do that - and then use led lights
having siad that... there are 14 lights...
but all on chandelier type lights

something else... while searching... i came across what looked to be plates and knobs for the switches... these cost about £5 for a chrome... is it possible to buy this... then buy the modules separately...? if so... why do the damn switches cost sooo much!? (maybe i'm missing something!)

Go buy a standard dimmer in white plastic (make sure you get one with the same watts as the old ones) then throw away the plastic plate and swop the modules.

That's the cheapest route.

Go buy a standard dimmer in white plastic (make sure you get one with the same watts as the old ones) then throw away the plastic plate and swop the modules.

sounds great
will i have any problems with the knobs though? will they both be the same?
thanks

I did that donkeys years ago because I wanted it laid out like this:

dimmer2.jpg

I used a blanking plate and dimmer modules from cheap-as-chips Wickes own brand switches, and they never put a foot wrong. They never buzzed, and they survived countless failures of 60 & 100W tungsten lamps with surges high enough to trip the breaker (don't believe anything people tell you about good quality lamps and Ballotini fuses - they were and they had them and the words "fireguard" and "chocolate" come to mind).

But it was getting tired looking, the faceplate had developed a small crack, I no longer liked the spun aluminium knobs, so I bought a nice modern replacement. 250W per gang rating, intelligent overload protection, soft start....

The first time a lamp failed it took out that module.

The next time one failed the module it took it out was so badly damaged it looked like someone had used a blow torch on it.

They don't make them like they used to....

I used a blanking plate and dimmer modules from cheap-as-chips Wickes own brand switches, and they never put a foot wrong. They never buzzed, and they survived countless failures of 60 & 100W tungsten lamps with surges high enough to trip the breaker (don't believe anything people tell you about good quality lamps and Ballotini fuses - they were and they had them and the words "fireguard" and "chocolate" come to mind).
They used to be GET. Don't know whose they are now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back