where can you site a combi condenser boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the actual regulations for siting a combi condenser boiler. ie. how far does it need to be from a door, window, neighbours boundary (fence) etc. I heard that as a lot of stuff comes out of the flu, it has to be sited in a certain spot that meets a load of regulations. I presume a drain needs to be near by. Also, what are the hazards with having the flu go though a flat roof (felted kind.)

thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is your interest? If you're thinking of having a boiler installed you need to discuss the options with a Corgi reg. installer. Also boiler manufacturer's web sites will usually give details of the flueing options.

There are rules about where flues can discharge, but the boiler itself could be some distance from the flue outlet. There's a current 10 page thread on a rather unsuccessful attempt to do this, but it will give you some idea of the issues.

I want to have my old boiler changed for a new combi condenser, but I noticed that there are a lot more 'smoke' coming out of these. my old boiler is perfectly postioned in a utility room at the back, but when it was fitted many years ago, the chap had to put a long flu on it. This was because it was close to a window & door, and near the neighbours fence. He said this was down to regulations. I have never seen a combi condenser with a long flu, they are usually short, stubby things. Well, I was wandering if a combi condenser could be put in the same place as the old boiler, or will I need to get someone the block up the window so that it complies with regulations. One quote I got was from a corgi approved chap who said it would have to be re-sited somewhere else. He suggested upstairs where the hot water tank is. I am not too happy about this and was wondering whether I could legally have it fitted in the spot of the old boiler.

seneca said:
I want to have my old boiler changed for a new combi condenser, but I noticed that there are a lot more 'smoke' coming out of these. my old boiler is perfectly postioned in a utility room at the back, but when it was fitted many years ago, the chap had to put a long flu on it. This was because it was close to a window & door, and near the neighbours fence. He said this was down to regulations. I have never seen a combi condenser with a long flu, they are usually short, stubby things. Well, I was wandering if a combi condenser could be put in the same place as the old boiler, or will I need to get someone the block up the window so that it complies with regulations. One quote I got was from a corgi approved chap who said it would have to be re-sited somewhere else. He suggested upstairs where the hot water tank is. I am not too happy about this and was wondering whether I could legally have it fitted in the spot of the old boiler.

you can run flues just as long as a non condesnsing boiler. It all depends on which model you chose as they all vary.
The smoke you say that comes out is attually steam, only problem they really cause is with the passives on sercurity lights (they turn them on).

You really need to have a chat with your local corgi reg plumber and im sure he can discuss this with you. You need either a internal drain of some type( waste pipe near by) or an external one within 3 meters usually.

Sponsored Links
The "Plume" can often be directed away from trouble with angled elbows, or taken up the side of a building. These extra parts vary with each manufacturer, but usually solve the problem.
The most common distance stipulation from an "opening into a building" is 300mm, though again it can vary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back