Where could water be coming from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any idea where this water patch could be coming from to the left of the sink?
1000013863.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there a soil stack in that corner, behind the panel; or a blocked gutter somewhere above?

1000013902.jpg
1000013899.jpg

I discovered it was from the corner of the sink where water was leaking from, and yiu can see the POOR diy job by last owner by sticking that blob of silicon in corner to stop leak, well that's what it looks like. What are peoples thoughts and how best to fix long term not a patch up? Thanks all

Attachments

• 20240426_181504.jpg
    20240426_181504.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240426_175610.jpg
    20240426_175610.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-20240426-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20240426-WA0017.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
Thanks. You mean to take out the metal sink area? When you say clean it up, what do you mean?
What about if I just put silicon around it as it is?

Take sink out, remove old silicone, clean it all up, make it dry and then put new silicon in?

Wood is totally rotten where the waters got on it for years. So what to do about the wood.
Have to buy a new work top.?

Could I just get a work top going up to cupboard and leave the one the gas cooker is attached too?
As wood is totally rotten.
1000013902.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240426_190500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_190500_Gallery.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 29
Could I just get a work top going up to cupboard and leave the one the gas cooker is attached too?
As wood is totally rotten.

You could do that. You might find it difficult to get an exact match to the worktop, and it might be a good idea to fit a new, proper flush mount sink. From what I can see in the photo - that one may have been designed to mount directly onto a bare unit, rather than set into a worktop.

Last edited:
Depends how far you want to go. If you clean round the sink, dry it properly and seal it with good quality silicone, that should do for now. Doing it properly is a bigger job.

Thanks. There's a good 10 pence size hole in that corner, not sure if silicon would fill that in. Maybe some kind of filler.
Who would I have to contact to maybe come out and look at it and tell me the best work top and measure it etc?

You could do that. You might find it difficult to get an exact match to the worktop, and it might be a good idea to fit a new, proper flush mount sink. From what I can see in the photo - that one may have been designed to mount directly onto a bare unit, rather than set into a worktop.
A proper flush mount sink? Is this better than a regular one? I really want one I don't have to worry about leaking around silicon area again?

A proper flush mount sink? Is this better than a regular one?

You would have to to check, whether it is, or isn't intended to be mounted flush - difficult to tell from the photo, but a flush version has a wide lip around the edge, to enable a good seal to be made against the worktop. When I have fitted sinks in worktops, I have always made a point of sealing the raw cut edge of the worktop too, just in case of leaks..

Wood is totally rotten
Calm down.
Thanks. You mean to take out the metal sink area? When you say clean it up, what do you mean?
What about if I just put silicon around it as it is?
You can, or you can unclip the sink as suggested and clean off the old and run a bead round the edge then sit the sink down on it. Neater job but running a bead around as is will work just as well if not better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back