Where do I go from here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Years ago I was training as an apprentice and completed all the Scotvec modules etc + nearly 5 years hands on - unfortunately I had to leave before sitting the AM2 (due to circumstances beyond my control).
I am now looking to get back into being an electrician but can't get SJIB grading because I didn't sit the final test and also to do it now I would need to be working for an electrical firm.
Is there any way I can get the qualifications needed to become a recognised electrician (bearing in mind I have done the full amount at college as an apprentice) - I also have the C&G2831 16th Edition.

Someone suggested that I go self employed so I can then get to sit the AM2 but not convinced this is the best idea.
Also as self employed I believe you can't easily joing SELECT or NICEIC unless you have a recognised apprecticeship and grading?

Any help on this would be appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
newb said:
Hi
Also as self employed I believe you can't easily joing SELECT or NICEIC unless you have a recognised apprecticeship and grading?

Any help on this would be appreciated :)

Not sure about SELECT, but thats certainly not the case for the NICEIC (at least for the normal DIS and approved contractor schemes, maybe things are different for the scottish 'DIS' scheme, but there is an 'or equivelent' clause... and I can't imagine they rejecting you if you meet the approved contractor requirements[though I'm not quite sure ehat they are offhand])

Are you based in scotland?

Qedelec and Dingbat on this forum are I beleive (though I might be wrong about the later) enrolled as approved contractors with the NICEIC and neither of them did an apprenticeship, I'm actually taking the same route into the industry in september (apprenticeships are not readily availanble - I've tried), though whether I'll join the NICEIC remains to be seen :LOL:

Newb, you could enrol with NICEIC with only the 2381, provided you satisfy the assessment, but your biggest problem will be the lack of recent work to show them.

As for JIB/SJIB, you can probably get a grading if you take the required Health & Safety course. Why not contact them direct and ask?

It depends a lot on what you want to do. If it's site work for a medium-large company then speak to SJIB. If you want to go it alone then check out the SELECT/NICEIC route. Start by reading what's on their websites.

(As for me, Adam is quite correct to say I never did an apprenticeship, but I do have an extensive practical and academic technical background and, let's face it, it ain't rocket science, no matter how hard some seem to find it! :D )

Thanks for the reply guys.

I had contacted SJIB who directed me to SECTT - they basically can't do anything until you are working for an electrical firm - and it's hard to work for most without your grading - bit of a catch 22 :/

I am based in Scotland and to join SELECt you'd need an apprenticeship - a few other ways in but all unaccessible unless you or someone in the company has the necessary qualifications/grading.
I'll have a look at NICEIC.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Newb,
There is a bloke who posts on here called Baldelectrician who works around Glasgow (I believe) and he may be able to offer some advice. Otherwise, speak to the guys at NICE and SJIB and ask them if they can help you out. Hope you get sorted mate.

Adam,
I started out the same way you are planning and would strongly recommend you get yourself a job labouring with a local spark (try and get some commercial/industrial experience if possible). You obviously have the book learning fairly sorted, but there's no substitute for the experience you get on the tools. You may find that you'll get work through the people you meet on the course. Good luck and enjoy it.

Just a quick update

Spoken to the guys at SJIB - sent them a copy of the qualifications I have gained, no log book though :(
Basically unless I am already working for an electrical firm then i can't complete the necessary apprenticeship tests so can't be graded.

Thanks for all the info - I will give Baldelectrician a shout :)

If you have the C&G 2381 16th edition then doesn't that qualify you as a electrician, or do you have to complete the NVQ 2 and 3 before you are classed as qualified?

Tony, The guy is trying to get SJIB grading, so 2381 on it's own does not qualify him as an electrician. He could satisfy Part P by doing a couple of notified jobs and applying to join up with one of Part P boys.

Personally, I would say that an electrician is someone with the full set of C&G quals (2360/2330, 2381 and 2391) and also having done their AM2.
This is just my personal view, so feel free to disagree.

If you want a gradecard (let's face it - nobody is likely to take you on without one ; as an electrician anyway) then do the mature apprenticeship route.

I have a feeling that you will be able to fast track the mature apprenticeship route as you have most of the relevant qualifications, you WILL however probably HAVE to work with a recognised firm for at least a year PRIOR to going down the route.

If you start summer 2006 you will probably have a grade card by summer 2008, all going well, start after Aug 2006 then add a year- the apprenticeships usually start when you attend college for the first time.
see :
http://www.sectt.org.uk/docs/information_sheet_for_applicants_jan06.pdf

it's really a no brainer- you require a grade card to get anywhere in the industry.
You could try the last resort route (such as ElecLocal) franchises- they don't even know (or care) that Part P doesn't apply to Scotland, and give misleading info on their website (part P again)

You will find it hard to get someone to take you on as the pay for a mature apprentice is prohibitive, £7.41 for an adult or £3.25 for a 16yr old (you decide who will be taken on)
Talk to a local company and negotiate a lower (fair) wage and you will get somewhere. Even offer to work free for a week to give them an appetiser.

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately, like a lot of people wanting to enter the trade in later years, mortgages, kids etc pretty much rule out a drop to such a low wage that the apprenticeship route offers. Seems daft that people who mid career would like a change to be a spark hit so many barriers (to be a graded spark and work for any reputable company)
One route I am thinking of going down is becoming self employed - I have the practical and mental knowledge required to do the job and guess this would allow me to get graded (working for an electrical firm allows you to sit the AM2)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back