Where do I put all the wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm replacing an old light with a new two bulb spotlight thingy, when I removed the old light fitting I discovered it was a ceiling rose with two cables each comprising LNE (red, black and exposed copper wire) and a single grey cable with a red sleeved wire coming out,... where do I put them all ? Double them up and put the single live wire in the spare terminal. On the instruction sheet it labels the 4th spare terminal for 'loop in ' wiring, how do I know which is the loop in?

Sponsored Links
Did you study the connections prior to disconnecting the original fitting?

It sounds likely that the individual red will be the switch line, however this cannot be guaranteed. If it is, then the two reds in the twin and CPC cable will need to be connected in their own connector that is likely not to be included in your new fitting.

Assuming your wiring is conventional,
the single grey goes to L of light.
the two blacks in the twin+e cables go to N of light.
the two reds in the twin+e cables get joined together in separate connector block on their own - this is the loop.

the earths get joined together, and connected to the E terminal if there is one - cover bare wire with earth sleeving.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back