Where does liability end

watertight said:
Sounds like it's not just me then :(

I've thought of having a form that the customer signs prior to starting work, this would have small print on the back saying that there is no liability for anything that is beyond my control, this would solve problems where faults are going to occur due to bad installation etc etc. However I'd feel uncomfortable if I was the customer having to sign such a form.

I once worked for a customer who was a solicitor, he ended up hanging, drawing and quatering me because I only told him verbally that he needed certain items prior to fitting them. "When did you put it in writing?" was his way of conning me out of a load of money. After he threatened me with trading standards I decided that I'd never work for a solicitor again.

ditto mate the b*rstad did me for nearly 2 grand on a verbal agreement :oops:

Anyone got any good ideas on how to get revenge on such people?

Sponsored Links
I really detest these types of people, funny how you never see them on watchdog as the customer from hell.

I'd be tempted to turn the tables on the solicitor. A verbal agreement is as good as a written one in law I've heard. Should have threatened him with the small claims court, if you have receipts for the parts fitted to the house and some sort of regulations to state the items are necessary I reckon any judge would not be sympathetic to his miserly colleague and award you the judgement.

Sponsored Links
Nice one Brumy.
I would do the same, persistence is the way. :evil:
I have kept phoning people and gone round to their houses, They soon pay up when they realise you won't give up.
I know somebody who plastered a ceiling and when the client found some excuse not to pay he put a broomstick thru the ceiling and made lots of holes.He got his money.:cool:
I also know another non payer who had gloss paint thrown on his brickwork. You try getting gloss off bricks when it has dried :LOL:

Yes but it shouldn't come to such measures and wouldn't if this country had some decent laws that could be enforced to sort these type of people out in a quick and efficient manner, I lost some money because I didn't trust the system, I reckon the guy was probably a mason and his wife was a solicitors secretary, I didn't bother as it was going be a lot more trouble than it was worth and cost me more, mind you if I get diagnosed with a terminal illness he is the first I will be round to with nothing to lose, you cant get 7 years with 3 months to live :evil:

one smart arse thought he'd withold payment because I had left a short peice of scrap copper pipe on his premises.

While he was out I went round, decappitated his dog and put the head on his pillow. He soon payed !

only kidding :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back