Where/how to source a low-sitting bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hopefully having my bathroom redone this summer. One of the key things I need from the new bathroom is the bath needs to sit much lower than the existing one (which is currently around 5" off floor level), as the ceiling height of my old house is pretty low and there's almost no head height when standing to have a shower. Trouble is, I don't know the technicalities of how support frames work, how low they can go, and what terms I need to research online to find the right bath and frame.

Can anyone help with this? The space for the bath is enclosed on three sides that can't be changed, so it needs to be 1600mm long.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
What sort of space do you have for the waste trap?

These are around 4"-5" lower than standard.

Last edited:
Hi both, thanks for your advice so far.

The floor underneath the bath is standard wooden joists with the ceiling of the hallway below underneath, so I guess there's no spare vertical space in there. Does this mean I can't do the low bath thing?

Sponsored Links
Does this mean I can't do the low bath thing?
You need access for the bath trap, this will take up at least 125mm beneath the bath, then you need horizontal fail from the trap outlet of about 20mm per metre for the waste pipe. You will also need to be able to route this pipe without compromising structural strength of any joists, that would mean the joist strength most be maintained as detailed in approved doc part A of building regs.
A link to joist holing and notching is linked here
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:routec
It is part of the electrical UK Wiki info but the specification for holes and notches still applies to pipework.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back