Where is the leak coming from??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! We have water coming into the loft around the chimney area.
We have had the lead flashings replaced to fix it- the roofer has come back 5 times to try and remediate as it's still leaking, he's since replaced the breathable membrane and added more lead.

Could anyone help suggest where it could be coming into/what to do? other roofers have suggested replacing the whole flashings again from scratch, which we can do, but it's so costly and we're just worried that it's not the actual cause when we've just had them fitted!
The damaged felt in the picture has since been replaced.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 19.50.33 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 19.50.33 (1).jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 89
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 19.50.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 19.50.33.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 85
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 19.50.33 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 19.50.33 (2).jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 88
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-30 at 09.18.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-30 at 09.18.29.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Just get someone else who knows what he is doing!
thank you. that's the plan, I'm just worried that even if we do pay for them to be re-done, it may not actually be the flashings that are causing the leak! we will also get the chimney re-pointed

Yes, chimney needs repointing, the bricks have some cracks in them, leadwork not the best. Leak needs to be pinpointed, not assumed.

Sponsored Links
Has the vegetation been removed ?
And the damage it caused been repaired?

There is a small area in the corner of the flashing and gutterback junction which looks like a potential problem as it looks like a hole where water could get into. It may well be flashed behind that but it does seem to be in the area above the internal problem. Before you go removing it all get that area sealed up and see if that makes any difference and then you can at least discount it. The pitch of the roof looks very shallow too and if you have had any of the biblical rains that have been around lately it may be a case of water backing up the leadwork and getting under the tiles causing the issue.

OP,
1. Better pics showing a larger context would help.
2. Pics showing more of the parapet caps and flashing - carefully lift the parapet flashing, & pic whats exposed esp. where the flashing meets the back gutter.
3. The vegetation area, noted above, requires re-doing, & maybe it needs a lead saddle?
4. From what I can see the back gutter is badly made & fitted - it needs to be physically lifted out, & a pic taken of whats exposed.
4a. How far do the tiles come over the back gutter, & is that course in plane with the roof?
5. The one piece step&cover flashing has been stopped short. A make-up soaker has been slipped in under the near side of the back gutter - Investigation needed?
6. As mentioned above the pointing needs raking out to 25mm depth & re-pointed with 3:1 sand and NH lime.

FWIW:
Do you have a full party wall in the loft?
What is pic 4. showing?
Was the felt repaired from on the roof or in the loft?

For a start the felt needs to run onto the back gutter any new felt need to be visable inside not on top of the old felt.

OP,
In my post #7. I gave you a detailed list and asked you a few questions.
You have, so far, not responded to my observations or answered any of my questions?

OP,
In my post #7. I gave you a detailed list and asked you a few questions.
You have, so far, not responded to my observations or answered any of my questions?
Thank you for the response that's really helpful, and apologies for the delay (currently going through job interviews which has taken over everything!).
Here are more pics (although taken before the roofer came back again and added more lead), and pic 5/6 is during the process of doing the flashings on other chimney.

3- Someone who will be re-pointing in NHL3.5 for us (who we trust/has done work for us) said he could also fit a GRP trim in that area, and bitumen flashing if needed.
4a- no idea, sorry!
5- yes that sounds right. If the GRP trim doesn't work do you think it's worth paying for us to get the flashings ripped out completely and re-done? our current roofer is clueless

Yes I believe we have a party wall in the loft. We don't have any party wall agreements
pic 4 is inside the loft next to the side of the chimney that's leaking. I've attached a bigger pic of the chimney in loft for context.
Felt was repaired from on the roof.

Thank you!

Attachments

• chimney 1.jpg
    chimney 1.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 20
  • chimney 2.jpg
    chimney 2.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 17
  • loft.jpg
    loft.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 17
  • chimney 3.jpg
    chimney 3.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 14
  • chimney 4.jpg
    chimney 4.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 13
  • parapet.jpg
    parapet.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 12
  • parapet 2.jpg
    parapet 2.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 19
Just get someone else who knows what he is doing!
fair! to re-do the flashings entirely though? 2 other roofers seem to want to rip out and start from scratch (only so they can give a guarantee on it) but surely that's not all necessary?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back