where my damp coming from

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone tell me why my kitchen wall ground floor getting damp, only been skimmed this year????
please look at pictures.

regards graham

Sponsored Links
Is the other side of the wall interior or exterior? and whats that thing in the corner?

Andy

ok the wall is exteior and the thing in corner is lead old water main pipe

regards graham
i go take more pictures

Check the exterior wall for height of dpc/bridging of dpc eg. soil piled up against the wall, faulty guttering.

And leaking lead pipe in wall.

Andy

Sponsored Links
ok i took some more pictures

the damp on the inside wall gets worse when it rains, so i guess the idea of damp course fault is out???
the drain outside was blocked this morning untill i unblocked it.
please take a look at photos.
best regards graham

The pattern of the circular damp spots is indicative of penetrating moisture moving across a joint in the wall at each location

It is getting in somewhere behind the render

Similar situation for the corner damp

Tap the render to see if it is hollow, otherwise you need to investigate to the sides and above externally

This looks like classic condensation to me.
We could probably rule out a leaking pipe as the dampness seems, according to the photos , to be at different locations.
DPC being bridged ( if one is present) is also a possibility.
Moisture ingress could also be the cause ie water penetrating the external wall.
The outside wall and the fact that we are talking about a kitchen, kind of points to the strong possibility of condensation.
To cut this down the kitchen would need to be kept warm and an exhaust fan running when cooking.
Also opening a window during / after cooking if windows are steaming up .
Its not possible to diagnose from the photos but I hope I have given you some idea what to look for.
Good luck

I was busy typing this when your latest post came where you say it gets worse when it rains. This points at moisture ingress being the favourite especially if there is no cavity and you have a solid wall. Of course even when there is a double brick wall if the ties have not been properly fixed it is possible for water to travel from the outer leaf to the inner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back